Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: cable adj
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:14 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i have the fsm, and twice tried to adjust the cables, /6, 63 dart pushbutton shifter ( trans is out of 64 or 5). all I have is reverse in all gears! that is reverse, neutral, all drives.... any help?? thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:15 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Do all of the buttons press in cleanly and click? Will it go into neutral?

Also, when did this behavior start? Did you do any work to the transmission recently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:01 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
chances are it is not a 1965, since PB went away in 1964.

your best bet is to drain the tranny, pull the pan, and get a better idea what is broken. :(

my guess is the cable end. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
65 had a cable shifter but it was not push button not sure that a 65 transmission will replace an earlier one. Will let someone else answer that.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:57 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
i'm piecing the 63 dart back together. the trans I got from a friend that got it from someone else! I believe he said it was out of 64 dart. the cable attach fine to pusgbutton stuff, the other end looks like to be fine/ my question is , can I use another method to get the cable working right? I have reverse in all gears right now.??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It sounds like you might not have the inner cable clipped all the way into the transmission. When you inserted the cable, did you feel the end click into the mechanism inside the trans case? The device the end of the cable slides into has a spring clip that should automatically catch the end of the cable as long as you push it in far enough. Then when you try to pull the cable back out, it should hold it from coming out again even before you bolt the adjuster wheel down. (If you ever want to remove the cable again, you have to shove a small screwdriver in there to flip off the spring clip, and it's a huge pain in the ass that you have to do blind.)

When the pushbutton mechanism is in the R position, the cable is extended all the way out of the jacket. If you don't have someone holding the R button down when you insert the cable into the case, it could just push the cable back into the jacket without engaging the locking clip. You also might not have been able to insert the cable far enough if you didn't back off the adjuster wheel first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:01 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
the cable catches, I have a 65 FSM that tells how to adjust the cable with the floor shift. it says, basically hold the shifter in low and adjust wheel. I do have park but r eserve in all other gears. somewhere I had seen another method to adjust cable. what I am wondering is, looks like to me, I would have too much tension on the cable?
I put the trans, cables etc in my 65 cuda, adjusted, it works perfect ( except the part cable.) I will worry bout that later with it, I really want to get this 63 on the road, but need forward g ears and trip to muffler shop!!!@ LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Here's what my '64 FSM says for adjustment with a push-button shifter. I can't imagine it's different for '63.

"Have an assistant hold the R button firmly depressed. Hold the control cable guide centered in the hole of the transmission case and apply only enough inward force (approximately two pounds) to bottom the assembly in the reverse detent. While holding the cable bottomed, rotate the adjustment wheel clockwise until it just contacts the case squarely.

Turn the wheel clockwise just enough to make the next adjustment hole in the wheel line up with the screw hole in the case. Counting this hole as number one, continue turning the wheel clockwise until the fifth hole lines up with the screw hole in the case.

Push the cable and adjusting wheel tight against the case then install the lock screw and tighten to 75 inch-pounds."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:40 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
thanks I will try that. that's a little different than what it says for the floor shift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:25 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
FYI, for the floor shift, my FSM says to hold the shift lever in Low (1st) and pull lightly against the cable rather than pushing it in. After that it's the same: spin the adjusting wheel clockwise until it sits flat, then spin until the 5th hole lines up.

I'm not sure why my '64 Dodge FSM lists the adjustment procedure for both shifters, but it does. I only know the Dart, but I guess some other Dodge models had the floor shifter that year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:16 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
yes my FSM is 65 dart, so just mentions the floor shift adj. hopefully I can try adjusting the pushbutton with a push in rather than a sliht pull out. \\
somewhere on the net a guy had a different procedure to adjust the cable, but I forgot what I read, been months back!
I admit life would be better if I was dealing with fresh rebuilt trans! but I have several earlt A bodies I piece together, so I just take what I find, stick in the eng trans and HOPE for the best!
the trans I pulled out of junker and put in the 273 65 cuda was good and adj came with no issues!!! I have a 63, 64, 65 darts, and 62 lancer, I have been piecing back to life from rollers. I might decide to thin the heard!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:59 am 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
It is best to pull off the trans pan and inspect the cable to valve body connection... then do the cable adjusting, with the pan off.

With the trans pan off, you watch the small "pointer" that contacts the neutral safety switch, as you move thru the gears.
Adjust the cable so the pointer always comes back and centres onto the N.S. switch contact, when shifted from any other gear.

BTW...
A 65 cable 904 valve body as one additional position for "PARK" so that is a 6 detent position valve body. (P R N 1 2 3 )
Push button shifters have a 5 detent valve body. ( R N 1 2 3 )
You can never accurately adjust the shift cable if you do not have the correct valve body for the type of shifter in the vehicle.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
interesting..... I also have a 65 dart /6 car. when I got it from a friend, stuck engine, but trans there, floor shift and all cables. well I droped in another slant, got it running but NO reverse. then got to working on other projects! I adjusted the cable by the FSM for the 65 dart floor shift. don't know if no reverse in trans or my adjustment! LOL
now I remember reading about the drop the pan, NSS deal!!!! I will try that if my next adjustment fails!!!!! it would be nice if I had a lift, and wasn't old and woreout!! LOL thanks for the info!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:26 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I did try adjusting again. didn't pull the pan as I get to go have some doctor work tomorrow,
park is working, it will ingage in drive gears, reverse, and sometimes neutral is neutral sometimes reverve! LOL
makes feel better. now to get some exhaust bent for it. maybe next week!!??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:12 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Doc, does the 6-detent valve body have the detents spaced closer together than the 5-detent valve body? i.e. they both use the same total movement in the cable?

I guess if you don't have an earlier valve body to swap in, then your best bet is to get Neutral lined up as best you can and hope the other gears are close enough. Dropping the pan for the adjustment would be best, but if you don't want to do that, you could try making small adjustments until it reliably goes into Neutral every time you push the button.

If the Neutral button sometimes gives you reverse, then the direction you'd need to go with your adjustment is to pull the cable a little further out of the transmission case. So I'd try rotating the adjuster wheel clockwise one more hole and see if it behaves better.