Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:10 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I just bought some 1157 and 1156 pilot LED bulbs to replace my incondescent bulbs, and they not working properly..so I heard you needed a LED Flasher,,so I changed it and its still not working. When I put the turn signal on all lights flash as well,,even my dash lights blink. I bought the heavy duty 90650 LED flasher with the ground wire..has anybody had this problem, and know the fix for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:15 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Counting down to Dan letting you know how foolish you are...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Almost all the "LED bulbs" on the market are unsafe junk, including the "Pilot" ones you bought. Remove and discard them.

Here's how to do it properly:

Clean the front park/turn and rear brake/tail/turn lamp lenses in hot soapy water. If the reflectors are at all dull or peeling, stuff wads of masking tape in the bulb holes (or remove the sockets if they're the removable type), clean the reflectors with alcohol, then spray them with readily available "chrome" spray paint, which is practically ideal for the task.

Then, put these in the brake/tail lights, and these in the back-up lights. Swap in this turn signal flasher (2-prong like original, direct swap).

At this time there is no effective, safe, legal LED retrofit for 1157 in any color other than red, so the front turn signals will need to stay with incandescent for now. We probably won't have to wait long for that situation to change.

Please see my detailed discussion of the matter here.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:51 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
thanks for the info Dan. 1156's work fine,,I guess we'll just we'll have to wait on the 1157's. in Amber. Might just stay with the old bulbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:24 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks folks. I just ordered a set of those bulbs and flasher for my 68 Dart. My lens buckets are in great (reflective) shape already, but it can't hurt to have more light.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:10 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I have a pair of "cheap" 1157 leds in my race car.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:46 pm 

Car Model:
Hi Dan,

I have another question. I swapped in the Phillips P21/5 lamps in place of my 1157s on my 68 Dart. I also bought and used the Novita EL12 flasher you linked.

Unfortunately, the bulbs do not flash (turn) at all. They are nicely brighter when on tail and brake functions, and the light distribution looks beautiful. I thought this would be a "circuitized" flasher that would solve the load issue not compensated by the thermal flasher.

Yes, I swapped back in the 1157s and they flash normally. I tried my old thermal flasher and it behaves exactly as the EL12 flasher (no flash, bulbs on continuously on when "turning").

Is there another flasher I should try? I found this on Amazon:

CEC Industries EF32SS-R Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 Prongs, 12 Volts

Thanks much,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:18 pm 

Car Model:
Something's outta whack; that setup should work fine. What's the story with your front turn signal bulbs? What are they?

You can try the CEC flasher; I could be wrong, but I don't think it'll behave differently than the EL12. These are capacitor-and-relay flashers. There are fully electronic flashers on the market that will sit there all day and flash no matter what load (or none) is applied; I can dig up some links if you like, but that's how the EL12 usually behaves, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 am 

Car Model:
That's what I would have thought too. Maybe that EL12 relay is mis-boxed or mislabeled on the unit? I'll try another solid state flasher and see. Front bulbs are stock.

Thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:59 am 

Car Model:
Yup, a faulty EL-12 is certainly possible. I've never got such a one, but it's a mass-produced product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:04 am 

Car Model:
Update: looks like this dingus solves both kinds of problems that can cause an EL-12 or other flasher not to work with LED bulbs. Those problems being lack of ground through the existing circuit (linked flasher has its own ground wire) and system polarity opposite what the flasher needs to work (linked flasher comes with a polarity-reversing adaptor if your car happens to present that issue).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:14 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yep this should be a sticky. For whatever reason, you have to reverse the connectors of the new flashers. Worked for me.