Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Copper head gasket?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Hi, i plan on turbocharging my car this winter and was wondering if it would help to put a copper headgaket on it, its a mild build already, big valves, cam, head studs, right now i have a fel pro headgasket on it and have a static comp ratio of 9.2:1 any advice will help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:35 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
You will need to o-ring the block plus resurface the blocks deck surface. You may also need a cam ground specifically for forced induction, and not for a naturally aspirated engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:49 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hey 225kid

I recently added a turbo to my slant which had similar specs to yours. In the end it will be determined by the amount of boost you are thinking of running
I have a copper gasket without o rings. I'm running 10psi boost but planning to run 15psi max. It is holding together fine so far. I got a thicker gasket which reduced my comp. the copper gasket does not seal well when it comes to oil and water passages but it just takes some preparation with some good quality sealants on the mating surfaces and it has held together so far
I also run e85 fuel
If you are on FB I have shown the build on "M Power racing team" With pictures as well

Good luck with the build. The results are well worth it. The slant gets up and goes now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm running 19psi on my Clark copper head gasket. Block is o ringed and the head is cut for the receiver o ring groove. I sprayed my copper gasket with hylomar on both sides seems to be sealing good. I ran a copper gasket on 19psi before the block was o ringed also. Boost or detonation deformed the old head gasket without o rings. I assume that was mostly the fault of detonation previously considering I broke the ring lands on two pistons a little over a year ago. :shock:

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:34 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Im only looking to run 10-14 psi, i have a good fuel system, and i dont want to take my block back out and have it machined, i already did that when i put it together, so in theory do i really need to o-ring the block?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:45 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
225kid wrote:
Im only looking to run 10-14 psi, i have a good fuel system, and i dont want to take my block back out and have it machined, i already did that when i put it together, so in theory do i really need to o-ring the block?

There's a lot of difference in cylinder combustion pressure between 10 and 14 PSI. At 10 you can probably get away without orings assuming you don't get any detonation trying to blow it apart. At 14 PSI you are getting close to where some would consider orings necessary or at least highly recommended. The only way to know for sure is to build it, run it and see how well it holds together.

Also, the oring grooves can be done with the block in the car. No need to do a complete teardown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Honestly why not just stay with an Aussie or felpro gasket others have done that with those boost levels without going to the serious stuff like copper. The short answer is yes it would work I had the non O ringed gasket in the duster my whole time at FSU on boost levels from 8psi to 19psi. 19 was short lived though lol. Staying out of detonation is a lot safer as well that's what really killed mine too much timing on 19psi felt great for a little while haha

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I have been running 9-11psi and 320-270 crank HP for a few years and using the Aussie Endurotec gasket. No problems so far. Have driven to the dragstrip and back many times, including VA to OR and back. I run AEM water/meth injection with -20F windshield washer fluid and no intercooler. I also have the programmable MSD 6AL-II for advance curve and Megasquirt port EFI. 8.6:1 comp and almost a stock cam.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:39 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
i ran a regular felpro at 25psi for a while with no issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:50 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Okay cool thanks, now i have a carb spacer on the car right now, when i hook everything up would that still help or would taking it off be better?