Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: +1!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
If the carb is too small, it becomes a restriction at high rpm (A bad air cleaner setup can do it too).

With the restriction, you get a vacuum at high rpm and then vacuum advance at WOT....................

Ed, nailed it! Even a dirty air filter can restrict your air supply. This may not be the case... but, it just eliminates that as being any kind of influence so you can go eliminate other possible issues...

Another factor that could occur as well is if the end user used a VC-208 "Feather Duster" vacuum advance cans... which can still give 22 degrees of advance at as little as 5"....

I owe Ed a Donut, for his grand prize!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
The tach is set to 6 cyl. Before the I installed the full manual valve body it was shifting around 5200 rmps. Something I need to play with. After changing out the plug wires, rotor and cap I checked the timing and it was set to 36 degrees (full mechanical). I dropped it down to 32 and initial is at 12.

I have a cold air intake setup and have a clean filter on it. wonder if I should try my regular carb mount filter.

I know I shouldn't change too many things at once but I don't get the track time that's needed. I should at the race later this month at Woodburn.

I'll find out Wednesday how it does. Sure would be nice to get into the 8's in the 1/8 mile. Only 0.025 from getting there.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Oh, make sure to get a friend to help check that the throttle opens all the way when you floor it. Sounds simple, but many of us have fallen into this trap before...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:40 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I when backwards with all the changes I made last week and we went from a 9.0 to 9.1 and that was with 110 octane. I noticed it was running lean so I purchased the AEM wideband Air/Fuel guage as suggested. This made a world of difference in tuning it. I put back everything as it was before with the exception of .040 plug gap and 32 degrees of timing.

Last night we finally made it into the 8's

Previous Best (92 octane)
60': 2.058
330': 5.840
1/8: 9.029 @ 76.89 MPH

Current Best (110 octane)
60': 1.982
330': 5.757
1/8: 8.954 @ 76.83 MPH

I may play a bit with the timing but I think the Dart is as good as it will get for this years race season. Hopefully it will be in the 13's in the 1/4 mile.

Andrew

Post subject: Ummm...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
that was with 110 octane. I noticed it was running lean so I purchased the AEM wideband Air/Fuel guage as suggested. This made a world of difference in tuning it.

I hope you have deep pockets... Leaded gas and some additives in high octane unleaded gas are not O2 sensor compatible (you will have to visit the fuel manufacturer page to see if they have an unleaded high octane that will work - I know Sunoco makes a 98 that will work, but you have to buy in pails and barrels).... it tanks the sensor itself... FYI. I tanked my cheap narrow band sensors after a few runs in one day after topping up my tank with Sunoco 110 for the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Found a good source of Sunco 110 for only $8.50/gallon. As far as the sensor goes I followed the manufactures recommendation for running high octane leaded racing gas. The sensor had to be mounted 36" or more from the exhaust port. I mounted it around 42" so I should be safe according to their instructions.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
My AEM sensors have held up well with a mix of premium (only) on the street and mixed premium/112 at the track.

Lou