Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 66 Valiant, 82 D150, 94 Ram 2500 TCD, 69 Dart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Max width tire on 4.5" wide rim is 185 75

You'll need 5.5" wide for 205 70

Also 7/8 rear anti sway bar is a bit much with slant up front...... (I have 3/4 on mine)

Use photobucket or equivalent for photos.

And

HI!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
I look forward to seeing the finished product! I approve of everything except the rear sway bar as you can get neutral handling without it and a lot of oversteer with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
halfafish wrote:
I'm not having any success posting the photos. Some help perhaps from someone who knows the secret handshake?

The forum doesn't host photos. Host them someplace like photo bucket, then link them here.

Welcome to dot org! :D

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:03 am 
TBI Slant 6

I think I figured out how to use photobucket, yay for this caveman! Let's see if it works. Here are the photos of the car when I drove it home. Other than the knucklehead that sawed out the dash for the DIN radio, it's an unmolested survivor.

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/junk471 ... sort=3&o=5

Here is the next update, as I installed rear speakers, took out and replaced the gawdawful botched-up front speakers, fixed all the wiring, and installed a new stereo. Also, the new radiator set-up, and an upgrade to 14" tires and wheels (originally yellow, then repainted to match the car).

http://s86.photobucket.com/user/junk471 ... t=9&page=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

OK, so my first go-round with the photos didn't post the actual image, just a link. Thanks to CJ for the assist, I should be able to get images to work now. Here are some shots of the car when I brought it home.

Yup! Red wheels and the ding in the LF fender:

Unmolested interior, with the exception of a manual choke cable added below the light switch, and the dash cut out for a DIN radio (Grrr....):

The mighty power plant, untouch for 50 years except for oil changes, a starter, and a new exhaust manifold.

The rest of the interior, all original, all in just about flawless condition:

I will post another batch of photos of work done so far. This winter will be an extended project getting the heap-o-parts out of boxes and installed on the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:01 am 
TBI Slant 6

Time for an update. So far I've driven the car for a few months, mostly to give it a shake-out and see what needs work. I fixed leaks at the rear end, gearbox, and oil pan. The radiator had a split seam, so it was replaced with an aluminum Champion unit as noted in the link below.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/thr ... ap.359779/

The radio was a mess with an old, incorrect, shaft unit that was just stuck in place in the dash. One of the PO's had cut out the dash to take a modern DIN radio and I didn't want to monkey with fixing it so I put a modern unit in place. The dash speaker was old, rotten, and inoperative so I made a mounting plate and stuck a pair of 4" speakers up front. The rear package shelf got a new set of 6x9's. A note if you're going to replace your rear speakers and your package shelf is original as mine was. Don't crank down the speakers too hard when mounting them. I did, and they pulled down and damaged the shelf material. Luckily, the speaker grills cover the damage but I ruined the original shelf by not knowing any better.

I'm going to Kelsey Hayes front discs, so changed the tires and wheels to 14" SBP steelies to fit over the calipers. The fronts are 4.5" with 205/70's on them, and the rears are 7" with 245/60's mounted. The rear wheels were made by the guy I got them from, and were assembled from Mopar SBP centers welded to some Ford 7" rims. They came out pretty well and are all the tire/wheel I can get under the rear fenders without moving springs, tubbing, or shaving wheel wells.

Here's a shot of the radiator, in place and working very well. Since I put it in, the gauge hasn't moved once the thermostat opens. It's probably a bit of overkill but I didn't want to mess with upgrading again later when the engine gets built up.

The radio set-up. This is a Bluetooth radio, so I stuck the mic inside the ashtray so it's out of sight unless I want to use it.

And the new tires/wheels. Originally they were yellow, I painted them to match the car.

Next up is a complete front-end rebuild (PST), a brake upgrade with dual-chamber master cylinder and KH discs, new T-bars (PST), new front sway bar (Hellwig), new rear springs (Firm Feel), new shocks all around (Bilsteins), and a new 20:1 steering box (Firm Feel). Here's the heap-o-parts waiting for installation, starting next week.

Next update in a few weeks when it comes down off the jack stands! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Despite the best of intentions, the front end rebuild had been delayed. The weather in my part of the world has been wretched since mid-November with no breaks. The shop is not heated and only half insulated, which makes working in mid-30 temps non-feasible. Finally, it's back into the 40's with an occasional low-50's to help warm things up so I'm ready to tackle that project.

In the meantime I reorganized the shop, added an industrial pallet rack to use as a workbench and to store parts, cleared out tons of clutter, got a parts blaster cabinet set up, and upgraded to LED lighting. The lights weren't all that expensive, but....wow, what a difference! It was worth every penny. I now have good access and working room for the vise, grinder, drill press, and parts washer. This was not wasted effort, as it really improved my ability to work in a well set up area. I've given consideration to adding a lift and finishing the insulation as tools towards having great area to work in.

I have been watching another 66 Valiant on CL for a few months, but hadn't pursued it much. The good news, it is the same year, model, trim level, and color as mine so that gives it some appeal. The bad news, it was rear-ended pretty hard. Everything behind the back window is junk, the frame is bent, the interior is pretty rough, it has an exhaust leak, the brakes don't work, the throttle needs help to not race wide open and the doors are all wonky from getting hit. But it does have a good LF fender and R door that I can swap into my car. It does run and drive so it gives me another spare /6 engine with a 904 and another rear end. So, I went to look at it today and it followed me home. I paid a little more than I wanted, but by the time I pull everything off it I want and sell the rest, I should come out OK on it.

The veterans on the list will probably be grinning, as I recognize I have dipped a toe into the waters of mission creep. After buying the Valiant and having it barely cast a shadow in the driveway, I was already thinking about either a 65 or 67 Dart convertible to build into a real terror. Now I have the Valiant and its rear-ended twin which is the start of my own junkyard. And I'd be awful tempted if the right ragtop came along. No wonder there are so many who have their own fleet of Mopars...

Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can get started soon on the front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks like nice progress on the shop, and the parts accumulation and planning.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Me thinks Halfafish is solidly hooked. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Time for an update. I've been busy accumulating more parts to get this show on the road now that the weather is workable and I won't freeze in the shop. I found a pair of 14x5.5 rims for the front tires which should improve the stance, eliminate the "poochy" sidewall look, and improve handling. I found an 8-3/4 rear end and had it cut down to early A size. It has 10" drum brakes, a 489 center section, and 3.23 gears with no sure-grip. I sent the A833 OD tranny out for a rebuild and found it was thoroughly trashed (another lesson on buying from unknown people on ebay). I think I found a good donor for my destroyed gears so this should be home fairly soon while my wallet gets a LOT thinner. I ordered all the odds and ends for the tranny conversion from Brewer's.

Best of all, I did another major de-crapification on the shop throwing out two loads of garbage, making two trips to donation sites. and giving away another two loads of stuff I don't need. I finished the shop insulation and had it covered in a breathable white visqueen material, and added two humongous ceiling fans that will keep the place cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The Valiant is going up on blocks this weekend to start the front end/steering/brakes/springs/shocks process. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good! :D :bow:

I'll have to try your method as my current paradigm isn't working. I clean out my shop by giving stuff to Travis and Mike, they clean out their shops by giving me their stuff. We all still have great junk all over the place. :lol:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Aha. I'm familiar with this - it's an affliction called Crapitis, and I have it in spades. I hold yard sales and give stuff to Goodwill, then go to yard sales and Goodwill with an eye toward some screaming bargain. It doesn't make much sense.

However, I took a vow that everything I had to remove from the shop for the installers to have room to work (which was just about everything) has to earn it's way back inside. Plus, if I haven't touched it in a year and I'm not likely to do so in the next six months, out it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Gahghh!

Six months! Waow! you are strict!

OK. Barnaby, come get the intake. I'll mount the trade in on the Hooptie!

CJ

Post subject: Lol...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Zach's seen my shop... he needs a few more projects in his, but he's got a nice shop... I'll get there with mine soon enough....