Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Some guy in a pickup made an illegal u-turn around a blind corner...saw him with enough time to slow down...just caught his rear end in the headlight and the bumper ripped off the fender. Damage is mostly the fender...but of course AMD only makes up to 1971 fenders.

Aside from hit-or-miss u-pick-parts...does anyone know a source for these?

1973 Swinger, left front fender...(I have the trim ring/grill in the garage somewhere...)

Greg loves his daily driver.
1973 Swinger 225 /6 Seats 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Oh, man. I am really sorry to see that.

HERE is a new one for $500.

Other than that, Texas Acres, Arizona Parts, Wildcat, other junkyards with old Mopars.

*ACK* wait- that is for up to 74 DUSTER fenders. Sorry, as far as I know this is an eBay/junkyard/Craigslist item.

I see a bunch on www.car-part.com

Post subject: Yep...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I see a bunch on www.car-part.com

You have to watch the older car inventory on their list, it's not updated regularly... Many times I've been to the Salem area junkyards and what they have listed is no longer in stock... In the Oregon area there are also 2 Junkyards an Mollala that have what you need, one doesn't do internet, and the other posts donors on craigslist sometimes... All American in Vancouver, has better prices than Wildcat on occasion.

FYI.

It pays to keep a private junkyard in the 21st century...Sorry to see that happen to your ride, it's a nice car.

What is insurance looking like for this collision?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Dang, sorry to see/hear that. Best of luck finding a fender. Try Memory Lane junkyard in Sun Valley area? I think they may have moved sometime recently.

Best,
Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:09 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks Reed, there's also a couple of local yards I have to keep checking...I emailed one of the guys in ridgecrest...a bit of a drive, but I'll have to find the fun route :-)

DusterIdiot, I'm working on the insurance claim...the first reaction from my company was to total it and I said NO WAY...then they said I have to justify the value, which should be no problem but is a hassle and it wasn't my fault. I went to the other guys insurance and they're coming out next week...

Dart270, yeah, memory lane is gone, the guy went and got into classic car sales...

It's just a drag...can't even pull the fender and hammer it back to drive the car until the insurance adjuster is done.

Greg loves his daily driver.

1973 Swinger 225 /6 Seats 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:24 pm 
Supercharged

Good luck with the insurance. Back when I was in law school I had a 72 Plymouth Satellite that got totalled becaue an old lady turned left in front of me and I t-boned her. The cop agreed it was her fault and I drove my car home. A week later I got a call from the insurance adjuster who said he came out and looked at my car and wanted to give me $700 for its total value. I was too shocked and not seasoned enough to ask where he looked at it since it had bee sitting in my driveyway since the accident. Never trust insurance adjusters, take it to several body shops to get your OWN quote, and never settle if you don;t want to. They can't force you to settle and what they are actually doing is buying your right to sue from you, not reimbursing you for the value of the car or the cost to repar it.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:48 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Practice due diligence to get a "more fair" shake from the insurance companies: Years ago my oldest son and I worked at "refurbishing" a very nice low-mileage 75 Valient Brougham. Just for fun, and on the advice of Pemco insurance folks, we kept ALL receipts for parts and outside labor, and kept a time sheet logging our personal hours spent each day of the project, including exactly what task we did each entry. About 2 years later, he totaled the car due to someone else's fault, per the State Patrol. The other driver's ins. co. offered "high value" of $1500.00. we argued, stating that the car had just been refurbished & painted. They had to hire an independent adjuster to review our receipts and hours to determine a more realistic value. The adjuster apologized, because though I am a professional aircraft mechanic, I'm not a professional auto mechanic, so he could only value our hours spent at the state's minimum wage level at that time. With our hours multiplied by minimum wage rate and allowed receipts totals, we were paid $5400.00 for the total, and we had first right to purchase the wreck from the insurance co. at scrap value. So for $456.00 we got to strip it of everything usable for our other projects. Beats $1500. Lesson: keep an honest detailed time sheet, and keep your receipts. That's for everyday normal insurance. If you have a show car, then insure it as such, with the restrictions that apply. That's my story. :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:29 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
hi reed- your legal analysis is succinct and accurate. your words insightfully blend the laws of torts, contracts, insurance and dirty tricks. always said law school was worth the time and expense even if one didnt practice(which i did). actually like johnny c, hated to draw the lawyer card unless forced by vexatious nitwits. do find it cuts like a red hot knife through butter. more than a few here raise legal conundrums. maybe there is a need for us and other esquires here to form a subforum for legal issues. could be a res ipsa loquitur. keep up the good work. bob f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:49 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I would agree, in this day & age even our basic passion/hobby is under
attack by some, a legal forum would most certainly be an asset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:49 pm 
Supercharged

Umm, I hate to say it, but I will never offer true legal advice over the internet Sorry, but I don;t want unknown peopl ereading my legal opinion on a car forum and then suing me claiming they thoiught I was acting as their lawyer and I gave them bad legal analysis. Plus, the law varies state to state (sometimes wildly) so I wouldn't feel comfortable giving advice to people in states where I don't know the law.

In a nutshell, my advice is don't trust anyone and take care of yourself as much as possible. Always consult a local lawyer. especially after an accient. Document everything. Got o the doctor for an exam, even if you only feel a little bit sore. Save all your docuentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:34 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
I agree with Reed. Legal advice on the internet about lawyer stuff is a minefield, in my view.

Post subject: x3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I agree with Reed. Legal advice on the internet about lawyer stuff is a minefield, in my view.

Definitely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:12 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Reed wrote:

In a nutshell, my advice is don't trust anyone and take care of yourself as much as possible. Always consult a local lawyer. especially after an accient. Document everything. Got o the doctor for an exam, even if you only feel a little bit sore. Save all your docuentation.

I will add one other thing. Record all conversations with anyone pertaining to the accedent, including the laywer (your own as well as the other parties), either in person, or by phone.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I don't think the proposal is for legal counsel on specific cases, but more or
less what you've all just engaged in at one level or another, "but Your Honor,
Reed said" isn't a concern I would have. What really is needed is qualified
people who can provide encouragement and guidance, like what questions
to ask and of whom, what are the possible "traps" of certain actions, etc.
Most of you have already voiced some opinion, and a level of guidance.
The idea is to put these concerns & conversations in one place where it may
be monitored and helpful to those who may not be aware they're not just
screwed. It's understood the state to state, even twp. to parish, to boro etc.
etc. can be as stated "wildly" different legally, but the basics of due process
and consumer rights exist everywhere in some form. Even the recommen-
dation of the proper type of attorney can be helpful for some. Just My 2CW.

Post subject: legal subforum
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 67 dart 2 door hardtop
I think it's possible to have a set of board folks, who happen to be lawyers, to have a conversation subforum here. The idea would be to have a header that goes above every message that says, "this is not legal advice, we are not your lawyer, nothing in this section is to be considered legal opinion..." etc, etc. as a CYA. It would be simply a conversational exchange. People can read it and take it as it is, conversation. I doubt seriously there could be anyone who would claim they thought they were getting legal advice or that anyone on the board was their personal lawyer if every message had the header stating otherwise. Another important step would be if anyone says "PM me" one would have to make sure if they decide to pm that person, they use the same header.

Brian (Esquire)