Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
So I purchased my 64 Valiant convertible with most of the car upgraded or repaired already. What I don't understand is how to adjust my top so that in the down position the arms etc fold down relatively flat. I have creeped around the forum looking at other convertibles, and many end up very close to flat in relation to the body. Of course when the boot is snapped in place it looks fantastic. My stack ends up sticking up about 2 or 3 inches at about a 10 degree angle. I have read through the FSM, and see adjustments for the front bow, and side rails, but cant seem to see adjustments that allow the stack to come down flatter.

Any convertible guys have tips to help me rectify this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:04 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If the top closes nicely don't mess with any top iron adjustment, any change will cause top not to fit. Those adjustments apply to closing and latching not storage in retracted position. Adjustment of top irons has to be accomplished without the top in place, extended to closed position, and adjusted for a square fit to windshield header with no binding when articulated. Once the irons or frame fits and moves without binding rear curtain spacing of rear bow is established, secondly pads are installed, and finally top is installed.

Yes it is normal for top not to fold tight or flat enough for it all to be below body line with these A Bodies. I have found that little bit of elevation helps the boot to have a little tautness and reduces flapping or fluttering in the wind while under way.