Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Mixed mpg
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:52 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Mixed driving mpg highway and in town will be about where you are at now, which isn't bad for these cars. If you have 10% ethanol gas where you are at you will also loose a little from that too... also checking to see if you have the correct tire size to speedo gear will help weed out any mileage errors if using the odo to compare to your fill up...

Later on, trading out the 1973-1974 distributor for a 1976 unit or 1977-1980 super six unit will also help performance and get back some of the mileage... also upgrading to the "feather duster" or Dan's upsized exhaust pipe and muffler will be an 'adder' to the better distributor curve...

But it looks good and you are off to a good start!

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1973 Dodge Dart 4-Door Custom Sedan
Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will try a few things, but I have to tell you...I am having a blast driving this around. It's fun to drive and I must admit that I love the comments I am getting from people. Everyone has a Slant Six story!! I'm hearing them all, lol.

I guess there's a certain amount of 'suck it up' with these cars...I am learning this.

Cheers
Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

We're really enjoying driving the car. Anyone my age who sits in it, gets an instant time-warp back to the 70's.

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm 
TBI Slant 6

19 July, 2017: I took the car to the local truck spring and suspension shop today. They removed and cleaned up the existing leaf assemblies, plus added one to each side. The also reattached the separation clips which were completely missing on each side. New U-bolts, spacers, deep bolts, etc. I am amazed a less than $400 worth of work has completely changed both the 'attitude' of the car, and the way in which it handles. Much better. I mean, MUCH better. I'm really starting to both understand and appreciate the fact that I took the advice of those people who suggested I not skimp on repair work/parts in favour of those who advocated a quick fix. It's taken a few shekels to get here, but today I can honestly say that driving down the road, with new suspension parts, knowing that all the mechanicals were done with the best parts, by someone who knows what they are doing...well, I can say that I FINALLY can see what I had hoped to see in the car. It is starting to 'feel' right... I don't know how else to explain it. I like the way it looks, the way it handles and I especially like the feeling that I'm bringing her back to a place she deserves to be. I'm having fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 pm 
TBI Slant 6

19 July, 2017: My phone has died. It had a good life, but now it's gone. As a result, I don't have any pics of the car today, however... I will be plugging back in to the matrix soon and will post new pictures as soon as possible. Thanks to all for the continued interest.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited by GreybeardGunner on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 am 
TBI Slant 6

08 August, 2017: Sorry for the long delay in getting more pics up. Summertime = total chaos around here (as is the case with most people, I'm sure). However, that being said, here are some pics of the Dodge as of yesterday. I have a wobble at 55 mph that I suspected may be the result of a bent rim. So I was experimenting with front-to-rear placement swapouts. It seems to have alleviated some of the issue, but there is still a shaky spot around 62 mph. Also, I'm still chasing down a cabin leak at the front/driver's side firewall area. I've cleaned the cowl plugs, checked the windshield seal and checked the wiper pivots...none of which seems to be the problem. I suspect there may be a weld-to-firewall leak in the cowl itself. Looking in to it further. I have to get this sorted out before I order my new carpet kit. Overall, it's working pretty well and my wife and I are having a lot of fun.

My very helpful brother-in-law Dan, doing all the work while I play with the camera and generally do nothing constructive.

Last edited by GreybeardGunner on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 am 
TBI Slant 6

21 August, 2017: New tire day! In celebration of the solar eclipse, I've pulled the trigger on new rubber. After consulting with the gurus on this site, I decided to go with a set of 205/70R 14's all 'round. Loaded them on the stock steelies with the factory wheel covers. I think it looks pretty good. It certainly handles better. Next job...electrical issues.

Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:18 am 
TBI Slant 6

Hi Everyone (Anyone?), Lol:

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I'd do a quick update.

The car is currently in storage for the winter, but I am using this time to have the original 1973 225 /6 rebuilt. The engine is currently being reassembled in New Minas, Nova Scotia by a local engine shop, and is basically a stock project. I have decided on a couple of simple upgrades, but nothing too crazy (or expensive). Here are a few pictures of the engine as it sits today, plus two of what it looked like when it was initially dropped off. When the shop foreman pulled this mover apart, the reason it had been removed from the car by the previous owner for 'making an odd noise', became evident. Broken rings in #3 and #4 cylinders, with fairly extensive scoring damage! So, we overbored by .040 to clean it all up. Also, did a bit of milling to ensure good mating with the head and we installed a bit better cam. One main journal was worn on the crankshaft, so we went .010 for the rods and .020 for the mains. Stock cam specs show .378 valve lift, but we found one with .405 -.411 lift to give it a little bit more sexiness. 2-angle regrind on the valves. Arguably, I decided that the cost of the 3-angle grind really didn't correlate well with what advantages would be recognized. I might draw fire for that, but whatever. A buddy in Ontario was kind enough to supply a Super Six 2bbl manifold, air filter and the necessary kickdown linkage, so I'm all set up on that front. Found a guy locally who rebuilds carburetors, and he had a well-tuned (fingers crossed) rebuild using original parts, so that's good also. Recently purchased a spare A904 transmission that is currently being rebuilt with some upgraded gearing which should help out a bit. I will probably do something with the differential later on, but that has to wait . It's all about funding, right? 'Budget? We don't need no stinking budget!!' Lol.

She's coming along...

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Figured I would post my first message and say Nice Ride! I'm jealous..... Some lady going the wrong way down a one way last Sunday and smashed up my 1968 Dart. Seeing your rebuilt engine has cheered me up some! That thing is clean as a whistle!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:51 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Hi Mortarman!

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear about your vehicular loss...is the Dart repairable? I'm glad my six was able to give you a smile. Actually, the engine shop just finished it. Here's a few pics you might like.

Cheers and good luck with your Dart.

Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm 
TBI Slant 6

07 February, 2018

Well, it's been a while since I added some info to this thread, so I thought I'd take a second to update it.

The rebuilt engine, and the car are now at the installation shop. My front end needed some work and I wanted to see what we could do with the engine bay area. We've just pulled the 'spare' slant six out and as you can see, there is some pretty extensive fender-work that needs to take place. I have ordered brand new AMD inner fenders, which is next on the agenda. After that, the engine compartment (and inside of hood) will be detailed and painted, after which the sparkly-new rebuild of the ORIGINAL engine (along with my rebuild/upgraded A904) transmission will be installed.

I have managed to find an original NOS front right fender, to replace the fiberglass one that was in its place. LURCH (as I've named the car) is heading to the bodyshop next for body work and paint. As luck would have it, I've also found four brand new small bolt-pattern, 14" wheels! I currently have two on the car that are bent and causing a highway-speed shimmy. These will be swapped out this Spring. I wanted to keep the original wheel covers, which is why I've opted for the originally-sized wheels. I am also keeping the 7.25 rear end. More pics to follow, as the work progresses.

Cheers,
Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:24 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Add ~original after the .jpg in each of your image URLs so that we can see them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:42 am 
TBI Slant 6

Sorry guys...half asleep, apparently, when I posted those. Looks like it's fixed now. :roll:

Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 am 
TBI Slant 6

26 February, 2018

Inner fenders removed. Yikes! Good thing I opted to swap them out, as their removal revealed a LOT (45 years) of crime and corruption. Need to fix this before the engine bay detailing can begin. Once those damaged fender flanges rad support, framework and assorted have all been fixed and painted, the new inner fenders will be affixed. THEN, we'll be off to the races.

Cheers,
Shawn

(P.S. I'm the one weeping in the corner)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Rusty lace, wow.

While you're in the neighbourhood, pay attention to the cowl where air (and water and snow and leaves and other crap) come in just ahead of the windshield. There are drains that get thoroughly clogged and that in itself is a problem, but the collected crud holds water against metal, and that's another problem. Causes water leaks into the car. Also put in a windshield wiper pivot seal kit (item № WP6776A on this page) and snag the firewall gasket set just below it while you're there.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next