Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Speedometer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:43 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Using my GPS I can see it's correct
but a tip for some thing else might be in order .
About 2 weeks ago , An out of the blue a symptom
The classic bopping up down speed needle as I drive along with a faint sound like kguggggg twisty sound
Then it just goes away and speedo is steady as can be . It seems to be at the start of the trucks resting of about a week and last for about 12 miles then back to normal .
The odd sound, when it happens seems to be at the dash board area dare say speedometer . I'd say I can live with it but don't want to stop keeping track of miles . If something simply can be done i'm game . For now it still works & keeps track of miles . More a preventive maintenance question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:46 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 75 Dart SE (2),75 Swinger, 74 Dart Sport,91 Ram RV
Lube the cable. You didn't say what kind of vehicle, but on our 75 Darts you can disconnect the speedo drive cable assembly at the speedo. Disconnect carefully as it may be a very brittle old plastic latching clip on the cable housing. The center flexible drive shaft can be pulled right out using needle-nose pliers and a rag for protection, as it is really slimy and about 5 feet long. Then lube the flexible shaft with "Speedometer Cable Lubricant" as bought at your auto parts store, $4. Slide the flex cable back in to the housing, being sure to rotate it to seat into the bottom trans drive notch and also to make sure it seats correctly into the speedometer head smoothly. There are other threads about this on this forum, somewhere. OBTW- one small detail: You might need to pull out the entire cluster to get access to the cable, so check your Service Manual.