Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

This forum is now closed.
All data from 8/29/17 to 11/14/17 was lost (Sorry!).
The new forum is here.

%*&##$@
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> How to use this Message Board
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: %*&##$@ (Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:48 pm) Reply with quote

I got the board up from the August backup. Most forums are locked until I can see if I can get a newer backup. Hey, it only took about 30 hours!

I can't seem to get a newer phpBB installed on GoDaddy, but if I can, I will try to upgrade.

GTS225
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 am) Reply with quote

Thanks loads for the work, Chuck.

For the rest of us; I put a C-note into the mail on Friday, headed Chuck's way. If there was ever a time for a fund drive, now is it. If we can't help from our keyboards, let's do it from our pockets.

Roger

Rob Simmons
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 am) Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch Chuck!
I thought you were going to switch from GoDaddy...(?)

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper
Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:42 am) Reply with quote

Thanks again bunches and bunches, Chuck! You should have a paypal from me, and once the dust settles please let us know if you need more.

Best wishes,

Lou

Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am) Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who is working on this! Especially Chuck.

I think it is time for a mandatory annual subscription or something? We have to have a way to fund Chuck's time and be able to allow him to upgrade the system as needed. Not sure how to make it happen, but we need to do something to help long term. My Paypal was sent Chuck, and more coming next pay.

Rick

Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 am) Reply with quote

Rob Simmons wrote:
Thanks a bunch Chuck!
I thought you were going to switch from GoDaddy...(?)

We will switch, but I needed to get the board restored first. I spent about 30 hours on this but was only able to get to 8/28/17. I am hoping to get a newer backup before unlocking the board.

I am doing research on where to host, but that takes a lot of time. I only want to do it once.

I also have attempted to update the board to newer software. I'm not sure if there will be problems there, but you can check it out at slantsix.org/forum3111. It's a work in progress.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 am) Reply with quote

Rick Covalt wrote:
Thanks to everyone who is working on this! Especially Chuck.

I think it is time for a mandatory annual subscription or something? We have to have a way to fund Chuck's time and be able to allow him to upgrade the system as needed. Not sure how to make it happen, but we need to do something to help long term. My Paypal was sent Chuck, and more coming next pay.

Rick

Thanks. It will cost $150 for GoDaddy to restore something, even though I think it was their fault. It will probably be another $150 or so annually to get another host.

I wish I had $10/yr for each active user, but I haven't really wanted to do that, even though it would be less than a dollar a month. If I had that, this would be my full-time job!

Special thanks to those of you who sent their c-notes. I'm sure we will spend it all before this is done.

Charrlie_S
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 pm) Reply with quote

[quote="Chuck"]
Rick Covalt wrote:

Thanks. It will cost $150 for GoDaddy to restore something, even though I think it was their fault. It will probably be another $150 or so annually to get another host.

Special thanks to those of you who sent their c-notes. I'm sure we will spend it all before this is done.

My opinion. Pay the $150 and have go daddy restore the data base regardless whose fault, then tell them where to go. Time is money, and your time (Chucks time) is probably worth more then that. I will be able to send some $$ after the 1st of Dec.

66 Valiant Signet 225 nitrous
64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 pm) Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish I had $10/yr for each active user, but I haven't really wanted to do that, even though it would be less than a dollar a month

If the wealth of information and the comraderie and the connectivity that we have on here is not worth $10/year then there is something wrong!

Please keep us posted Chuck! And thanks again!!

Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: (Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. I plan to have GoDaddy try the restore, though I suspect that it won't complete. If they can make their backup file available to me, I should be able to go through the same steps to restore that. I'll keep you posted.

Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: Feedback (Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:33 pm) Reply with quote

Part of this process is to get the board software updated. We have had a few problems this year and the software is about 12 years old. I tried updating many years ago and couldn't get it to look like I wanted.

So, there is a new board up at slantsix.org/forum3111. Please check it out and give feedback. I have to decide if the new board is ready for "prime time". I still can't get my custom logos to appear! It should have everything that was on the old board, minus a post or two that were corrupted. You should be able to post in How to use this Message Board on the new forum or here. Logins should work if you signed up before 8/28/17, because that is the newest stuff on the board. I think you can post there without logging in. If I can't get a new backup to restore, we will have to live with that.

I'll find out more tomorrow. Bang around the new board and see if it breaks!

Ciao & Thanks,

Chuck

Charrlie_S
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Post subject: (Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:41 am) Reply with quote

I made a post in the social corner, on the new site.

66 Valiant Signet 225 nitrous
64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
Dart270
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Post subject: (Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 am) Reply with quote

I looked at the 3111 version. It looks fine, but I cannot say I like it better than the current/old version.

It would be nice to have the words "quote", "edit", "pm", "delete" etc with the buttons in the upper right so I don't have to figure out what all the little symbols mean. Also, I do not see a button to "pm" the poster. I use this a lot.

It looks/looked easier to post an image link, but the pic does not show up and I can't figure out why. Maybe that is not enabled on the new site?

I like the "online" banner that shows who is online too.

That's my feedback for now. Thanks again, Chuck!

Lou

Ceej
Site Admin

Post subject: (Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am) Reply with quote

3111 looks great. With Fat Cow supporting 5.5, would that have a different look?

Still, the colors look good and I don't see anything flashing or moving around. It's the steady, consistent platform I think we want.

Have you considered selling select ad space to members? No animated crap. For instance, sell Charlie an ad where he could list his business card. Something where say for $20 year a static row of business cards could be posted in the slanted network. Members only. A minimum post count requirement, non-BS. Something like that?

Brainstorming here...

CJ

N7SNW
Chuck
Site Admin

Post subject: (Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:22 am) Reply with quote

Dart270 wrote:
I looked at the 3111 version. It looks fine, but I cannot say I like it better than the current/old version.

It would be nice to have the words "quote", "edit", "pm", "delete" etc with the buttons in the upper right so I don't have to figure out what all the little symbols mean. Also, I do not see a button to "pm" the poster. I use this a lot.

It looks/looked easier to post an image link, but the pic does not show up and I can't figure out why. Maybe that is not enabled on the new site?

I like the "online" banner that shows who is online too.

That's my feedback for now. Thanks again, Chuck!

Lou

Thanks. Lots can be configured if you know how. I will look into these things because I want to see how easy it is to fine-tune. I am looking for someone on our site (preferably) who knows how to set this all up. Please keep up the suggestions!

I got pictures uploaded. Make sure you are not trying to upload a large picture. I don't know what the size limit is.

PM is just below the post on the left side.
Edit & Quote are on the bottom right.
As for the symbols, just hold the mouse pointer over them and a description pops up. Delete is the only one you mentioned that doesn't have a button.

I think the buttons work better at the bottom because that's where you are looking after reading a post. Otherwise, to "quote", for example, you have to scroll back up to the top of the post!

It would probably be easy to move them around on the same line, but it may be more difficult to move them to the top.

Just one more thought. Are you seeing the site in red? Just want to be sure the right theme is being used.

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> How to use this Message Board All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: