Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:53 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: Dodge Coronet 440
I'm working through some issues with my 66 Coronet I just got. The windshield washer pump doesn't work. I took it apart today and saw that the pump end was bound up. In trying to free it with penetrating lube I broke the flimsy flat metal connector between the motor shaft and the pump shaft. The pump shaft seems free now and the motor runs fine (now disconnected from the pump). I can't see how to fix that connection but I'll keep the pump in case I find a way in the future. Anyway, in the mean time I'd like to simply install a universal replacement pump but am having trouble finding one I like that will work. It needs to be separate from the tank (connected by a hose) and able to mount onto the right fender wall. The plus power wire from the interior washer switch is fine and will drive the new pump. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:07 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
https://www.amazon.com/SI-A0050-Windscr ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That connector between the motor and pump shafts is thin and flimsy on purpose; it's so if the pump seizes (the reason in mind was water freezing inside it, not more than half a century's worth of wear, tear, and corrosion, but toMAYto/toMAHto) the locked motor won't overload the circuit and cause a wire fire.

Obviously more or less any pump will work. If you want a new original-style pump, it's here.

Or—what I did on a lot of cars—if you want to upgrade your windshield washer system (great for bench-racing sessions!) you can put on a '67-up A-body tank with its attached pump. These were easy to get out of wrecking yards when I was at it—not so much now. New tank (larger than what you have now) bolts right on; it is here. Pump attaches directly to the tank; it is here (complete with intake filter, rubber seal ring, etc).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:29 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Unless you're really Mopar anal about it and want the Pentastar on it, good luck finding a replacement!!! If you just want to replace it with the same, any early Ford unit will be the exact same, without the Pentastar on the housing. Or you could just swap housings if you're that anal about Pentastars! Good Luck
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/17664c.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:37 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Yes, I did find the one from Classic Industries that you point to. So, I ordered that one for $35. It will do fine. It's interesting that the reservoir I have looks in excellent shape. Turn it over and I see it's a "Mopar Approved" restoration part - whatever that means! So my nearly new tank and repro pump will be just fine. I'm not looking to rack up points at a car show.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:30 am 
3 Deuce Weber

I installed the repro pump from Classic Industries yesterday with all new rubber tubing. All is back in business again. Of course, the repro pump, which fits Fords and Chryslers did not line up with the mounting holes from the original pump. I used the lowest of the three existing holes and drilled two new upper ones.