Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:55 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
I recently bought new roof rail/door seals for a 1978 mopar F-body 2 door hardtop,from carquest. I held them up against the old ones, they looked like they'd fit perfect. I tore the old seals out, replaced them with the new ones. Now the front seems to fit alright, but along the top of the window and especially along the back, there is a terrible gap. Is there any secrets or tricks to installing this stuff so it fits properly? I'd really appreciate any information you have... thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:13 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I would start with alignment of the door. It may not need it, but if it does, now is the time to work it into place if it helps the problem. Inspect all the gaps. If the window is too far away from the rubber and the door needs to move out at the bottom or in at the top it would work in your favor. If it's opposite of what you need I'd probably leave it alone until I see if the window can be moved. In your case where one end of the window seems to work, you may not be able to move the door without messing that up.

Windows usually have a adjustments inside the door. At least one end of the window runs on a bar or in a track. This track usually can move at one end or the other to swing the top of the window in or out.

There’s probably an adjustable stop that lets the window raise a little farther or stop it sooner. There may be one at each end so you don’t have to mess up the front that already works. Look for slotted bolt holes where everything bolts. If one end has no adjustment, you are supposed to adjust the door until it fits - then use the window adjustment for the other end.

It seems complicated but it’s not if you study how everything inside the door works and can move. Sometimes you’ll move one thing and mess up something else so you have to go back and forth until they both work.

If these seals have a metal backing and screw on, you may be able to shim them in the direction that they need to go. If it needs to go too far, though, it can be a wobbly eyesore.

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
Windows usually have a adjustments inside the door.

Yup. You can adjust up-down, in-out within the door.

First make sure you door is fitting properly in its opening, lining up with adjacent body panels. You may or may not need to rebush the hinges to accomplish alignment. Open door, pull up on door bottom to see if there is excessive play in the lower hinge. Proceed accordingly.

If all is well with hinges & alignment, check Factory Manual for window glass alignment instructions. It is not hard, but is fussy & time consuming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Contact Jerry 74DartSport
He has found that the seal is not constructed correctly. PM him here or over at FABO and find out witch ones WONT work. I looked at them with him this last weekend and they were flat Wrong.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:34 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
these ones are seeming to fit the way they should, and now after tearing my door apart and adjusting the window in at the top and up a little more they look like they should work... thank you for the replies, I never knew there was adjustments for the window inside the door! thanks!