Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Max MPG Project
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hello everyone. I'm new here to the Slantsix forums and /6 engines in general. Been around on a number of Mopar forums for years but just recently got into A-bodies and the /6. recently picked up a '72 Valiant with the 225 1bbl engine. The front end is crunched up and I'm currently in the process of fixing that. Anyways, on to what I'm thinking.

I have always have been a performance orientated guy running BB's and big C or B body cars. However, this time I'm going for a max MPG setup with the Valiant. I would like to see 30mpg on the highway if possible.

I'm thinking a nice long rod 225 with compression that I can still run 87 octane. I would do the EFI setup from a mid 80's GM product (per the "articles" here), a T5 trans from an early 80's V6 Ford(?), electronic ign., headers, cam(?), and 8.25 or 8.75 rear with 2.45 or 2.74 open diff.

Does this sound about right? I'm concerned with the engine rpm not being high enough on the highway. Here is what I calculated...

.068 OD + 26" tire + 2.74 gear = 1800 rpm
.068 OD + 26" tire + 2.45 gear + 1600 rpm

Will the little /6 be able to handle this? What cam in your opinion would be best for this setup? Any other input or critiques are more than welcome. Thanks.