Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:36 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
We have too many chinese made products offered here in Norway, just as you have, and those are usually the same ones as in USA - or in the rest of the world for that matter! I know that many of you guys are dedicated to buying US made parts when possible, and as driver of an american car, usually and when not too impractical, I am too. One company that takes pride in offering US made products is FBO. They don't have the world's largest selection of parts, but you'll know where they come from. Just thought I should mention it.
Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Mopar mini-starters for $129. I paid that for one from Mancini that turned out to be a piece of Chinese crap.

Has anyone tried this US made starter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:45 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I'll comment on myself; not all chinese stuff is bad, if it had it been, their economy had collapsed! Where the price dictates it, I confess I'll buy without caring who made it. The really big problem with some late chinese goods is that they are having the same problem in China as in USA, with cheaper parts coming in from other low price countries such as Laos, Burma, Vietnam and others, with extremely low quality, and passed on as chinese.
Olaf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:48 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
64 Convert wrote:
Mopar mini-starters for $129. I paid that for one from Mancini that turned out to be a piece of Chinese crap.

Has anyone tried this US made starter?

Tilt. There is no US-made mini starter. The real ones are made in Japan. The one FBO offers is nothing more or less than a bench-rebuilt unit. I'm sure they're fine, but they're rebuilt in America, not made in America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:58 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
olafla wrote:
not all chinese stuff is bad

Right, right…not all the toys made there are toxic and/or hazardous, not all the pet food from there will kill your cat or dog slowly and painfully, not all the toothpaste from there contains antifreeze, not all the produce grown there is high in mercury and other heavy metals, not all the electric appliances from there have dangerous faults and phony safety approval labels, not all the tools and parts from there are just waiting to strand you by the side of the road or smash your knuckles, not all the name-brand stuff coming from there is counterfeit…shall I go on?

Quote:
if it had it been, their economy had collapsed!

Not true. There is an enormous market for garbage -- especially when all the makers of high quality, legitimate goods have been pushed off the market (or priced out of the market by millions of people too shortsighted to quit shopping at Wal*Mart).

Quote:
Where the price dictates it, I confess I'll buy without caring who made it.

That makes you part of the problem. :-(

See here and here for past discussion of this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Good thing you drives a Volvo too, Dan, if you're not careful with your purchases of 'made in Sweden' parts, the whole factory could end up beeing chinese one of these days!

Oops...