Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:14 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
hola,

So a few weeks ago, I purchased a chrome valve cover and a chrome air cleaner. I have two questions that will likely make me look stupid but I would just be thrilled to have them answered.

1.) On the valve cover, it fits perfectly. however, there are no oil shields under the PCV valve/breather. I would get something welded in its place, but I dont want to mess up the chrome. Any ideas?

2.) On the air cleaner, I need to switch out the threaded rod. however, this is a screw-in rod that came with it, while the rod on my stock 1-barrel is NOT a screw in. How would I go about swapping that?

Any help is appreciated! thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Sam-

Unfortunately, both of the pieces you bought might look nice but are actually inferior to the original equipment on your car.

The chrome valve cover is what is referred to as the "Chinese" valve cover on this site. Do a search for Chinese valve cover and you will find numerous threads discussing the poor fitment of the units and, more importantly, the problems cause by the lack of the oil baffles under the PCV and crankcase breather holes.

The air cleaner is likely an open element air cleaner, yes? Two problems- (1) you will never be able to modify the one barrel carburetor body to accept a screw in hold down bolt for the air cleaner, (2) open element air cleaners are actually worse for fuel economy and drive-ability.

You would be better served to return both items, if possible, and clean and paint your original valve cover (or polish it if you like shiny things) and run your factory air cleaner and rig up a cold air intake system.

Sorry for the bad news.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Quote:
So a few weeks ago, I purchased a chrome valve cover and a chrome air cleaner.
The short answer: Don't use them. They're of poor quality and won't work as well, in some basic and important ways, as the stock parts.

Valve cover info: see here.

Whatever chrome air cleaner you would have bought, it lacks the thermostatic function (which means you will lose driveability and fuel economy) and probably lacks the hookup to the crankcase breather (which means you will get stinky crankcase fumes finding their way into the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:51 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
73 Sam,
Quote:
1.) On the valve cover, it fits perfectly. however, there are no oil shields under the PCV valve/breather. I would get something welded in its place, but I dont want to mess up the chrome. Any ideas?
I have run it both ways. I highly recommend installing the baffles if you choose to use the valve cover. I used JB welded to secure the baffles I made for mine. I used two pieces of sheet stock and brake formed the sides to conform to the valve cover and provide surfaces as attach points. Very simple to do and similar to a stock valve cover.
Quote:
2.) On the air cleaner, I need to switch out the threaded rod. however, this is a screw-in rod that came with it, while the rod on my stock 1-barrel is NOT a screw in. How would I go about swapping that?
SL6 Dan's advice is very good for running the stock style air cleaner especially in cold climates. I upgraded my 74 to the 80's truck style so I could get the benefit of the hot air on starts but also cold ram air once warmed up.

Click on the red link below my name to view pictures.

http://cid-32f1e50ddb40a03c.photos.live ... %20Swinger

74 Swinger, 9.5 comp 254/.435 lift cam, 904, ram air, electric fans, 2.5" HP2 & FM70 ex, 1920 Holley#56jet, 2.76 8 3/4 Sure-Grip, 26" tires, 25+MPG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
thanks for the replies.

Dan- the air cleaner DOES have the vacuum attachment to the air cleaner. After purchasing it, I began wondering if it had it or not. However, I was pleased to see that it did when it got here. You are correct about the thermostat function, though. Since I have it, I would like to at least give it a try to see how much it affects the vehicle. If it really turns it into something that I really don't like, I'll remove it and throw the thing away. Is there a way to convert the rod?

Post subject: Yes...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
Is there a way to convert the rod?
Get a threaded coupler, and a short length of all thread...drill the lid of the new air cleaner to match the original stud size on the wire bail at the carb... Use a fender washer and original carb wingnut and you are done.
Quote:
Welding will mess up the chrome, you could touch that up with the appropriate insta-chrome from an autobody paint supplier...The best bet is to drill and use long shank pop rivets...that way you are assured that the baffle will stay retained for the duration by the mechical fastener...even if the valve cover warps after it's been subjected to multiple hot-cold cycles, and continuous vibration during driving.

-D.Idiot

Post subject: Good questions!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Coupla good questions there mate - and some good answers.
Let's know which track you walk and how it went, please.
Gary