Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
This can be made to work using 1" wheel adaptors (too large for spacers), but adaptors are dangerous. Is there another option, such as using the late 13" wheels that attach to the 10" drum 8.75 rear? Would changing the offset work?
TIA
--Walt Jackson

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Walter Lee Jackson wrote:
Is there another option, such as using the late 13" wheels that attach to the 10" drum 8.75 rear?
TIA
--Walt Jackson

All small bolt pattern, 10 inch brake Mopars used 14 inch wheels.
That said, I did have some 13x8 wheels made for my 65 Valiant with 9 in drums. When I put an 8 3/4 rear in the car, I was able to remove the cooling "flair" from the factory 10 inch drums (aftermarket drums don't have the flair), and the 13 inch wheels fit. I have no idea if it would work on the front.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
All small bolt pattern, 10 inch brake Mopars used 14 inch wheels.

Depends on what model year. Back when these were just used cars, I routinely saw 1965-1969 vehicles with stock 13" wheels on 10" drums. However, when I attempted a tire swap from a 9" (slant 6) car to a 10" (V8) car, I discovered those rims were very slightly different -- more room inside the V8 version of the rim. The difference was very subtle, probably an extra 1/4" of radius available, but once you knew where to look, and you had the two designs side-by-side, it became obvious enough to notice from several feet away.

But that's drums -- I have no personal experience with KH discs. My guess is that discs required 14" rims, partly because it's a very common issue to need more space to clear calipers, and partly because the Formula S option (which includes 14") and the disc brake option (which was strangely not part of the Formula S package) became available from Chrysler at about the same time. They wouldn't have tooled up a Small Bolt Pattern 14" rim without a need.

- Erik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:45 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Walter Lee Jackson wrote:
This can be made to work using 1" wheel adaptors (too large for spacers), but adaptors are dangerous.

I disagree with the "dangerous" part. I've used billet aluminum bolt pattern adapters on my road racing '64 Dart for years with no issues. That's a lot of hard cornering, and occasionally getting friendly with apex curbing. Make sure you use billet aluminum, not cast aluminum. You can have them made with hub centering if you're really picky, but I've never found a lack of hub centering to be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
This 13" rim will work with 10" front brakes. Note the square-like area circled.
I have updated 3 A-Bodies to 10" front brakes using these rims. If you can't find enough rims to do all 5 wheels then try to find 3 so that the spare can be used on the front or back.

This 13" rim will NOT work with 10" front brakes. Note the rounded-like area circled.