Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Upholstery Help!?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:31 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1965 Dodge Dart
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me. I own a 65 Dart, 225, 4 Door. I've had her for 18 years. In the last few months, both the upholstery and the headliner have really started to degrade, and it's making me sad :cry: . I was referred to an upholstery guy near me by my mechanic and the guy I bought my car from, who I run into a couple times a year. I took her in there on Friday but after looking through many of his samples there was nothing that matched the color or style (mainly the color - metallic turquoise/sea mist green). If I wanted to go all vinyl - no problem, but I don't. So, he suggested that I try and hunt for some upholstery. Are there any places I should be looking? I've looked at Legendary Auto Interiors but after putting in the specs of the car it's only coming up with upholstery kits - not actual upholstery.

I will add that what's in there now is NOT the original upholstery! They are actually covers which were put in soon after the original owner sold it in the early 90's. I only recently discovered this AND the original upholstery is still in there!!!

Finally - were bucket seats the norm for this year? I have bench seats in both front and back, but in the research I've done so far it appears that might not be standard? I'm wondering if the bench seat in the front was swapped in later!?

I'm attaching some photos for reference.

thank you!
Dina

Attachments:
File comment: Back Seat
Smaller back seat.jpg
Smaller back seat.jpg [ 71.64 KiB | Viewed 2270 times ]
File comment: Deteriorating front seat...you can see the original upholstery!!!
smaller seat.jpg
smaller seat.jpg [ 114.01 KiB | Viewed 2270 times ]

Post subject: Re: Upholstery Help!?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
For a four door I think the norm would have been a bench front seat. The buckets usually wound up in the 2 door coupes and convertibles.

Try classic industries for the headliner - they have a light blue perforated vinyl one for the 4 door. The perforated vinyl is likely not the same as the original material.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:22 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The original materials can be bought from SMS Auto Fabrics. They might have an original-type headliner, too, or look at StockInteriors.com.

You might also look around at other local upholstery shops (car and boat, if applicable) to see what they have stashed away. When I had my '71 Dart's seats redone, a local shop had a material that went perfectly with the exterior colour, and it came out looking great even though not exactly original.

Make sure the shop will pay careful, skilled attention to the foam and springs in your seats—both are likely to need refurbishing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:36 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1965 Dodge Dart
thank you both for your responses! just after I posted I heard back from an old friend who owns 5 (!!!!) Stunning late 50's Dodges/DeSotos....he's usually my go to for any questions! He also recommended SMS Fabrics so I sent them a note and am waiting to hear back.

I stumbled across this headliner on eBay which is exactly what I have now. I didn't see this exact material on Classic Industries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333273239123?ul_noapp=true