Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: AC/HEATER rehook up
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:42 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 86 dodge d100
Hello all,

I have any 86 Dodge D100 with a slant six that i believe to originally have ac (someone replaced the motor with a 76 model) and i am trying to convert it back to ac (VA summer/fall is brutal sometimes). I was looking in my factory service manual (86 dodge truck repair manual) and couldnt find any wiring diagram in it that matches what the current set up is for this ac/heater. The heater box appears to be just that with a separate ac evap unit. The manual only shows a heater box with the ac/heater as one box. The factory cut out in the fire wall for the ac hook up looks to be original so does the separate evap unit (there are no duct connections going into the separate heater box.
I cant figure out what that relay is behind the dash vents (nothing in the manual about it), along with the blue box and the white one attached to the dash itself (see pics) i know the one to the far right of the relay (i assume it is a relay) is the blower motor resistor.
Also in the one pic there are 3 wires coming from the ac blower motor that were just cut and not going anywhere along with that big pig tail you see dangling. Does anyone have a pic or diagram on how that is connected? Additionally i cant say i ever seen that ac/heater control unit in the pic and when i search for it nothing comes up?

Attachments:
77.jpg
77.jpg [ 95.44 KiB | Viewed 4034 times ]
3333.jpg
3333.jpg [ 61.83 KiB | Viewed 4034 times ]
00.jpg
00.jpg [ 81.24 KiB | Viewed 4034 times ]
66.jpg
66.jpg [ 100.44 KiB | Viewed 4034 times ]
55.jpg
55.jpg [ 66.32 KiB | Viewed 4034 times ]

Post subject: Re: AC/HEATER rehook up
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:44 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

(back of the ac/heater control)

Attachments:
44.jpg
44.jpg [ 77.26 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Looks just like what was on my 83.
"Dealer add on" unit.
Belt catalogs used to ask if you had factory air or dealer air, yours would be dealer air.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:35 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Could allso be aftermarket add on air. I have done sevsral of those installs over the years.
I should still have some install instructions someware. give me a couple of days, and if you still need info, send me a pm

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

volaredon wrote:
Looks just like what was on my 83.
"Dealer add on" unit.
Belt catalogs used to ask if you had factory air or dealer air, yours would be dealer air.

Ah that would make sense cause my factory manual didnt even have a wire diagram for it lol. My duster was a VA car originally too and it had "dealer" add on air conditioning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:06 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Charrlie_S wrote:
Could allso be aftermarket add on air. I have done sevsral of those installs over the years.
I should still have some install instructions someware. give me a couple of days, and if you still need info, send me a pm

If you do that would be great

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:52 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
86d100 wrote:
Charrlie_S wrote:

See if you can find any tags or sitckers that might say "Wynns", "ARA" , "FRigette", any thing like that. They were three of sveral companies that made units for Mopar trucks.
PS: That green box is an electronic thermostat

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Charrlie_S wrote:
86d100 wrote:
Charrlie_S wrote:

See if you can find any tags or sitckers that might say "Wynns", "ARA" , "FRigette", any thing like that. They were three of sveral companies that made units for Mopar trucks.
PS: That green box is an electronic thermostat

Oh wow i would have never guessed that box was a electronic thermostat. I did find this sticker on the evap unit itself

Attachments:
ev.jpg
ev.jpg [ 64.23 KiB | Viewed 3854 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:32 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Yep, that is an aftermarket A/C kit. I know of them, but don't think I have any literature for their units. I'll take a look. Actually most of them used very similar wiring.
On that blue box (just going by failing memory) two wires go to a thermister in the evaporator. two wires went to a variable resistor connected to the temp control (either on the control head, or the lever on the evap case). One wire for +12volt, one wire for ground, and one wire to the compressor clutch.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Charrlie_S wrote:
Yep, that is an aftermarket A/C kit. I know of them, but don't think I have any literature for their units. I'll take a look. Actually most of them used very similar wiring.
On that blue box (just going by failing memory) two wires go to a thermister in the evaporator. two wires went to a variable resistor connected to the temp control (either on the control head, or the lever on the evap case). One wire for +12volt, one wire for ground, and one wire to the compressor clutch.

Well I'll be dipped didnt even know they did that. I do see the 2 wires coming out from the evap core (no connector for it) and the resistor (looks like a relay) up on the fire wall. I'll have to play around with it. Thanks for the info