Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Few. I have the feeling UT told him thousands would attend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:07 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I don't do facebook, but they might get a few more then we had at Clay City, but I would think mostly UT's followers with dual purpose cars. I don't have any idea on the number of hardcore slant six racers, in that part of the country. It is a LOOOONG haul for me, and I think most of the eastern, and western slant sixers. I have it penciled in, but I doubt it will happen for me. If I'm going to travel that far, I would rather it be a points race.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
I don't do facebook, but they might get a few more then we had at Clay City, but I would think mostly UT's followers with dual purpose cars. I don't have any idea on the number of hardcore slant six racers, in that part of the country. It is a LOOOONG haul for me, and I think most of the eastern, and western slant sixers. I have it penciled in, but I doubt it will happen for me. If I'm going to travel that far, I would rather it be a points race.

I agree with Charrlie - It's not as long of a haul for me but it is past Knoxville... which is the farthest track I have towed to so far.

It will be interesting to see if folks that click on stuff for UTG can make the trip.... As clicking and swiping is generally easier than transporting yourself, your crew and stuff needed to race to a venue.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Is there some way he can get an idea of turn out? Surely he can't want a race with 10 or 15 cars and not have another race along with it. I really hope he gets a great car count, but our local owner told me he needs 75 cars just to break even for a race day.

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:39 am 

Dallas has some sponsor money lined up, but it's going to be a tough nut to crack for him. I'm not sure the multiple classes will work in his favor either. I really haven't heard of too many Slant grudge racers.

It's not a real short haul for me, but I will go because Dallas is a long time friend. Since it's a Sunday race on a long weekend I don't have to schedule any vacation. I towed to Humboldt, IA a couple years ago to support him at a craphole track, at least Jeffers is a nice place.

This far out it's real easy to see something on the innernets and say you're going. I've done it myself. I'd guess over half the guys that are saying they'll be there don't even have a running car. Been there too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I can't see having a stand alone race just for slants, but look at the following UT has. It's huge compared to here. Sure hope it is a well attended race.
I also hope it's a points race so a record attempt could be made by the great gold duster from the north. Pretty close for us, just 5hrs and a good road.
One green car and one sliver wagon will plan to attend.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Team Green wrote:
I can't see having a stand alone race just for slants, but look at the following UT has. It's huge compared to here. Sure hope it is a well attended race.
I also hope it's a points race so a record attempt could be made by the great gold duster from the north. Pretty close for us, just 5hrs and a good road.
One green car and one sliver wagon will plan to attend.

Mark

¡YAY! way to represent Mark and Team Green.

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:13 pm 

It would be a 800 mile one way for me. Clay city is @ 475 and that is just about all I can take.

It will be tough for this to be a points race even if would be approved due to the format. We run a one class, random ladder, run what you brung race. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:14 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
How about the positive and the negative of making it a points race.
+ Help the promoter get as many cars as possible.
+ Add NEW people to the points series.
+ Show that people who run the series care about first time racers and promoters.
+ More work for Rob to keep everything straight.
+ 1/8th mile records could be set.

I can't think of a negative thing.

Rick you could drive 2 400 mile days and be under your 475 per day limit. Nothing like pulling a trailer across the Mississippi River bridge on Hwy 60.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:21 pm 

Dallas is already considering fewer classes. He is flying by the seat of his pants on this one.

Mark, thanks for putting this race on your schedule. I told Dallas you guys have the baddest hot rod west of the Mississippi. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
For me, it is about 850 miles each way. Close to the same as Clay City (867 miles), and closer then Ashbury (which I haven't made) and I think closer then Mason-Dixon(892 miles).
Just a FYI, The closest slant race for me is Knoxville (600 miles). That's why I can't make any more then I do.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 am 

Car Model:
I would like to make that race if I can. It will be different for sure. It will depend on my work/class and family caretaking schedules, but since it's Labor Day it could likely happen. Would most likely drive the 68 turbo Dart or the 62 Valiant there.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:20 am 

Car Model:
If there would be one day or one bracket where all the cars run, or you would choose just one of the brackets/classes to award points, then I would be in favor of having it be a points race (for that single set of eliminations). Anyone not in that set of eliminations could count attendance points. That seems to be a way it could work fairly.

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am 

I think it would be better if it were not 1 week away from Clay City for sure.

And if it is approved I would think it would better to have 2 days of racing for the long haulers. It gives people like me 2 chances to red light in one trip. :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
people like me 2 chances to red light in one trip. :D :D

For Sure! But if you are good, you can get all of those out during the grudge races / time trials, qualifiers and practice sessions.

You just need to take 10 days off - Go there, then camp out in the woods for 4 days between there and clay city.

Greg