Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
FYI, I just got back from a job walk at a couple of my out of town projects...

Yesterday after work I slid over to the Casa Grande Desert Valley Auto Parts yard (it's their smallest yard).

Apparently none of our Arizona bretheren warned them not to let the Duster Idiot into the yard.... it was like letting a kid have a shopping spree at a candy store.... those Arizona guys are holding out on us!!!!

Lots of cars I haven't seen since I was a kid going to the junkyard with my grandfather... lot's of 30's, 40's 50's cars.... plenty of other makes (no E-body, and only 1 1966 Charger for a B-body).... fun to see a few of the old big finned late 50's/60/61-ish Chrysler and Desotos....

They had a few dozen A-bodies early to late, a fair amount of Dodge Trucks.

I would like to thank Nick who was in charge of customer service that day, and Rudy who was the concierge and parts puller... There was so much yard to cover, once I spotted what I wanted, Rudy picked me up in an old Geo Storm, pimped out in spray paint...drove me to the cars I wanted parts pulled from (a 1976 Dodge Dart, and a 1975 Duster with the "Baton Rouge" Package...which would be a "Silver duster" in 1976)...

Between these two cars and a look see on their "stock shelf", I was able to UPS home 2- 3874876 Super Six Distributor cores and one stock 1975 225 distributor core... all still had tags and the vacc advance cans had their 4 digit sticker on them....which is a good sign...and they still moved, and weren't seized...

Both the 75 and 76 still have good late LCA's with the factory sway bar assembly intact... The '75 was "loaded" (A/C, power steering, etc...) and still had a good radiator, fan shroud, and 5 blade fixed fan)....

Nick also referred me to the Phoenix yard, which is the largest yard (I think he said over 20 acres)... I am working out a deal with him on buying out that yard's slant six EI distributors, so I can get a good batch refurbished for our members here...sadly the cost of cores is way up from the good old days, but will be worth the price over a crap shoot WAI distributor...

Keep your fingers crossed on that deal, thank god for tax returns, and it will make for a fun summer to work in my shop.

I also heard from them that the north phoenix yard will be closed for a couple months as it's being rented out so they can film some scenes for the next transformers movie... 8)

FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Sweet! I'm jealous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:40 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
The best thing about work ....is where it takes you.

Enjoy the subsidized vacation.

Post subject: Part 2....
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
So since the Phoenix and Casa Grande area were having record highs in the
109-114 range....I went to do a jobwalk and had to have my crew start early in the morning, meaning we get off not long after noon....

So I took a drive up to the main lot to see if I could make a score of more cores...

My luck, and fates heavy hand fell heavily on my karma...

I rolled up to the driveway, and had to weave between a bunch of semis, and wondered what was going on, cut off a truck carrying a bunch of Polaris ATVs....wheeled around past a sign stuck in the ground that said "Crew Parking"....that had a bunch of white non-descript rental vehicles in it... I quickly was spotted by a security guy who looked like a quick cooked lobster huddled under a camp canopy, and had a case of empty water bottles on one side of him and very warm half case of full water bottles on the right...

I pulled up next to him, and rolled down the window.... he asked what I was doing here, and I told him I was here to pick up some parts....he then said it won't happen this week, the owners went on vacation, and rented the yard out to a company to shoot a movie....

So as luck would have it, I went the week they were shooting the junkyard scenes for the new Transformers movie... and they were closed, and I was shooed off the premises... Probably if I had been smart and had my yellow safety shirt from work and said I was "the mechanic" for the crew vehicles, I might have gotten somewhere...

yeah, right.... :roll: