Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:10 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Beautiful! I have two of them, but they are NOT in that condition!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:53 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1970 Dodge Dart Custom
This was such a wonderful thread to read through! So glad to see you passing the knowledge and skills onto the next generation, and with such a great car too!

2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, Top Banana #3874 of 4000 (lots of fun)
1970 Dodge Dart Custom 225 Slant Six, Auto, A/C (good car, engine rebuild)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:26 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I couldn't agree more!

And '72 Dart Swingers are the bomb!! I've had mine since 1990.

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Dart Slant 6 - 3 on the Tree
I know I haven't posted in a while, but Logan and I have been doing quite a bit of work on his Dart. I'm not doing much on the Dart when Logan isn't here, as I'm trying to teach him. Since my last post we've removed the tie rods and centerlink so we can drop the oil pan (leaking). A friend of mine loaned me a tool he made to lift the engine enough to get the oil pan out (see pic.). I'm glad he had that tool as I was stumped as to how I would support the engine. While the pan was off, I changed the rear main seal as a precaution. I would like to run full synthetic oil once we know there aren't any leaks. While I was changing the seal, Logan was doing the "fun" job of gasket scraping and cleaning, good experience for him! I also double-checked the cam gear alignment as I wasn't sure I installed it correctly when we changed the gears & chain. With the grill off and the radiator out I was able to see I was off a tooth on the cam gear, which explains why it didn't have enough power to drive up car ramps. The engine is buttoned up now, so we turned our attention to the steering.
The power steering gear box is shot, leaks from the bottom seal, and a lot of play in the wheel when driving even after adjustment. We got a quote of $400.00 to rebuild it, ouch, when we were at Mopar Nationals. We had a swap space this year and we were next to a fantastic couple who were selling parts from their '72 Barracuda. They replaced good parts with better parts (8-3/4 rear to a Dana, 727 to a 5 speed stick, etc.). Another item he replaced was the power steering gear box with a light weight Borgensen unit. They sold Logan their good used gear box for $40.00. I tried to remove the Pitman Arm from the old gear box, bought a puller from Harbor Freight, but one of the arms on the puller bent. We took the old gear box, and the box from the 'Cuda, to a buddy of mine who has better quality tools, and he will change the Pitman Arm for us.
The power steering gear box isn't the only good deal we found there. I saw an old friend I knew when I lived in Joliet, IL. He had a couple of Slant 6 parts, an Offenhauser 4 bbl. intake, and a set of headers (see pic.). They will be installed at a later date.
Last weekend we went to the Holley Moparty, and more good deals were had! Logan turned 15 at the show on Saturday, so I found a new chrome valve cover and breather caps as birthday gifts. Also found some long T-handle valve cover hold down bolts for when we install the cover. Engine will be looking good! One of the swap meet vendors at Moparty gave Logan a Holley 4 bbl. carb for free as a birthday gift. I told him to cherish these times, soon enough you'll be paying full retail...lol (see pics.).
We've also bought fully rebuilt upper control arms, a recovered dash pad, which I installed today (see pics), and some '70 Dart taillight housings and an extra pair of lenses. The '72 bumper has 2 taillight openings per side, but the '70s has only one per side. We bought them as my buddy who loaned me the engine lifting tool, has a brand new '70 rear bumper he will sell Logan for $100.00. He also gave him a free hood (Logan's has a bend in the front from a P.O.). Only thing wrong with it there is a hole in the hood for a large scoop. I have an old fiberglass 6 Pack scoop that will work perfectly!

Attachments:
Old Dash Pad.jpg
Old Dash Pad.jpg [ 127.8 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]
Headers & Intake.jpg
Headers & Intake.jpg [ 194.75 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]
Engine Lifting.jpg
Engine Lifting.jpg [ 172.02 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]
Chrome valve Cover.jpg
Chrome valve Cover.jpg [ 132.04 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]
Carb.jpg
Carb.jpg [ 234.23 KiB | Viewed 1215 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:31 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

More pics added.

Attachments:
Valve Cover Wing Nuts.jpg
Valve Cover Wing Nuts.jpg [ 255.12 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]
New Dash Pad Installed.jpg
New Dash Pad Installed.jpg [ 141.99 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:52 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Wow! Lots of progress, mentoring, memories! What a great time to be Logan! And you have to be loving the quality time with him! So awesome!!

Thank you for taking us along on your journey!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:03 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Very cool! Thanks for updating us on your and Logan's excellent progress. Memories to cherish and a fun car to drive!
Lou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:53 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Awesome Report, and Swap Meet deals!

Have Fun Wrenching and getting the car to the point where you guys will enjoy it thoroughly!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:30 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Your buddy near Joliet have any more /6 goodies he wants to get rid of? Haha
That's not far from me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

volaredon wrote:
Your buddy near Joliet have any more /6 goodies he wants to get rid of? Haha
That's not far from me

That's all he had left. If he had anything else he probably would have gladly sold them to Logan!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:13 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

On Friday, Logan and I went to my buddy's place to check on the progress of removing both Pitman Arms and installing the A body arm onto the steering box from the Cuda. The arm came off easy from the Cuda box but would not come off the Dart's box. He wanted me to give the ok to try heating it with a torch. I told him the box is junk anyway so give it a try. Even with heat, both of us beating on it with a BFH, and while to puller was attached and tight it still wouldn't come off. Oh well. I ordered a new Pitman Arm and should be here early next week.
Today Logan and I installed the gearbox to the K-Frame. Before installing, I put the coupler onto the gearbox spline. When we tried to get the column installed, we could not get those slides to fit into the coupler. After several attempts, and lots of cussing, I gave up on trying to do it that way and pulled the steering column out and removed the coupler from the gearbox. I assembled the coupler on the steering column shaft and spent a lot of time getting everything to line up to engage the gearbox splines to the coupler...what a P.I.T.A., but it's done! Once the Pitman Arm arrives, we can install that along with the tie rods and centerlink. New idler arm is already installed.
Logan and I enjoy your comments, thanks for reading!

Attachments:
Steering Box Installed.jpg
Steering Box Installed.jpg [ 167.42 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Very cool! Go Logan Go!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:33 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

We got the steering system installed (new tie rod ends, idler arm, and pitman arm), soon we will take it to my friend's place to change the stub strut bushings and upper control arms as he has a lift, it's hard working under a car on jack stands in a gravel driveway. Found that we couldn't install the center link with the Pitman Arm and idler arm installed without jacking up the engine, lesson learned...lol.
We installed the instrument cluster after applying white faced gauge decals to the gauges only, as we may need to find a better plastic housing. We got the steering column back in place, along with the shift linkage.
Had issues with the brakes so we found the fluid in the master cylinder is very dark brown. As long as the front end was up, we decided to bleed the brakes to replace the old fluid. Found the left front caliper's bleeder valve is broke off, so I may try to drill it out before spending about a hundred dollars for one. We were able to bleed the right front, after applying heat to get the bleeder to open. Also found during the brake bleeding that we have a leak somewhere in the rear brakes. The front reservoir was draining along with the rear. We'll look after getting the front end off of the jack stands.
Next week we're hoping to get it back to running/driving condition, as it won't be long before it gets too cold to work on it outside.

Attachments:
Column & Cluster Installed.jpg
Column & Cluster Installed.jpg [ 123.13 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:31 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

I tried to drill out the broken bleeder valve on the left front caliper without success. We decided to replace the caliper, and Rock Auto has them for a reasonable price. Looking at the pictures of calipers on RA, and other sites, we do not have that style on the Dart. The factory disc brake calipers were of a four-piston design. We have a one piston design, and I'm not sure what they originally were off of. Could anyone help me identify these calipers? I have included pics.
We began bleeding the rear brakes as everything looked good. I'm thinking the complete rearend was changed in the not-too-distant past as there are fairly new U-bolts, and it's cleaner than the rest of the undercarriage. Did find out why it takes so long to accelerate, it has 2.45 rear gears!
Anyway, when the rear was changed, they hooked up the e-brake cable to the RR, but they wire-tied the cable end to a brake line. Every time we engaged the e-brake, we were stressing the brake line. As we were bleeding the brakes, I saw the fluid spray out of the line, another repair to do (Logan is sure learning a lot!).
We got everything done under the hood, for now, and got her running pretty good. One of the last things we did was install one of Logan's Christmas present from last year, a new 3-row Champion aluminum radiator.

Again, if anyone can help me identify the calipers we have, we would appreciate it, thanks!

Attachments:
Installing New Radiator.jpg
Installing New Radiator.jpg [ 140.35 KiB | Viewed 977 times ]
LF Caliper 2.jpg
LF Caliper 2.jpg [ 140.22 KiB | Viewed 977 times ]
LF Caliper 1.jpg
LF Caliper 1.jpg [ 133.65 KiB | Viewed 977 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:17 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I'm sure one of the many A body guys on here can tell you for certain.

They sure aren't the ones that Rock Auto shows for a '72. But if you look at the offerings for a '74 Dart it shows one pot calipers. If that is the right one, they have low end rebuilds and one pricier new brand, Ultra-Power. Some of the core deposits on the rebuilds are more than the cost of the caliper.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next