Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:49 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1973 Dodge Dart 4-Door Custom Sedan
Hey Dano!

I remember you and I talking about the cowl area before. I knew that mine was problematic, so we paid close attention to what was going on there. Yep - full of debris. Cut holes in the cowl to clear 45 years worth of sand, leaves, sticks, pine needles, crud and corruption. Both sides were full! Cut open port and starboard cowl housing, blasted the area with HP air and water, let dry, painted the inside with a good water preventative paint, then welded it all back together again. Made some work for the body guy (in terms of grinding the weld areas), but it's done! New pivot seals and firewall plug/gasket set imminent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Wow…you're not kidding about their having been full of trash!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Crazy, right?

Shawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
WooOOOooW. Good to get it cleaned out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

I think we found Jimmy Hoffa in there too!

Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Hey Guys:

The engine compartment work is almost complete. Paint tonight a few days to cure, then next week we'll go for an engine installation!

We uncrated, unwrapped and began prepping the engine today. Can't wait to fire her up!

Overbored .040, upgraded cam, polished crank, new bearings, new pistons and piston rings, bit of porting, reground valves, new seats and seals, shaved a bit off the head (just to ensure a good mating with the engine block), and an upgrade to a 2-bbl manifold (For the imminent Super Six conversion.) Currently painting the kick-down linkage and air cleaner, which will be getting a new Super Six decal thanks to some help from Jim Osborne Reproductions. Brand new oil pump, water pump, coil, distributor cap (electronic), and timing chain. Radiator is out for a re-core.

Getting excited now! More to follow. :mrgreen:

Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:21 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Very nice! Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm 

Car Model:
Cool!

Lou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
GreybeardGunner wrote:
upgraded cam (…)Brand new oil pump

Careful-careful. This combination has the potential to make large and costly problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:12 am 
TBI Slant 6

Hi All:

Firstly: Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really do appreciate the encouragement, tips and suggestions. As I'm sure you know, there is a certain cross-section of the population that seems to take great joy in pointing out any number of my missteps and mistakes. However, be that as it may, suggestions and nudges in the right direction are always welcomed, especially when they are obviously intended to assist. I can't do them all at once, but they are all taken into consideration and placed on my 'to do' list. There have been a few nasty messages sent my way, which I have done my best to ignore. My project, my rules. Again, I have received a LOT of great advice from a LOT of really helpful people, so thank you to those individuals.

Secondly: Engine bay is now completed and the engine has been mated to both the transmission and K-member, and the assembly has been gently eased into its new home! Over the next week or so, we'll install the rebuilt radiator (ouch, THAT hurt, let me tell you), the carburetor, fenders, lights, front end steering/suspension components, drivetrain, newly rebuilt heater core, etc. A bit of work on the dash lights/fuel gauge and Lurch will be off to the bodyshop. We've also swapped out the wiper pivots (thanks Dan! That was a great idea to do that now).

I purchased 4 good used rims, and will be taking all four (plus the spare rim from the car) along to the shop for painting. Still need to order the new exterior door handles, weather-stripping, side mirror assembly, antenna kit, carpet kit and trunk latch. Rebuilt/upgraded radio came back a few weeks ago, so that's ONE thing completed, at least. Managed to score two newly re-chromed front and rear bumpers out of the States for half the price of a single re-chrome here. Even with shipping, it was WAY cheaper. I was pretty happy about that too, (thanks, Sandy!). As you can see, we swapped out the original 30-pound (ha) starter for a mini-starter. The new inner fenders look fantastic, and now I'm on a quest for a hood, as the underneath lattice support is pretty chewed up on mine. If anyone has one hiding under the bed....

Just thought I'd share the project status. OH! And before I start getting hate mail, no I'm NOT keeping that black valve cover. The one you see is damaged, so I'm swapping it out with another, that will be painted MOPAR blue.

More to come.

Shawn :mrgreen:

Last edited by GreybeardGunner on Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:07 am 

Car Model:
Looks wonderful! You are proceeding carefully and with quality. I am sorry you are getting "hate mail" - silly. I like the black valve cover, myself. Be creative and do what you think is right.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:43 am 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks, Lou. I'm thinking plaid, maybe? lol

Last edited by GreybeardGunner on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 am 
TBI Slant 6

Getting there...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Lookin' good!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I may be in the minority, but I've always loved that body color. It's looking really good!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next