Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:31 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
I didn't find any generally available affordable electric power steering pump that could replace the belt driven pump. The 2nd gen Toyota MR2 pump (1989–1999) is sometimes used but is too spendy (for me). Electric hydraulic pumps were also used by other manufacturers such as Ford/Volvo and BMW but with electrification the practice seems to have moved on to an integrated electric steering rack with steer-by-wire, or the column assist. Some systems can draw 60 amps when turning, but very little otherwise. The Mini Cooper pump might be the most easily sourced used since I think half of those cars are already junked, but Amazon lists a remanufactured Mini Cooper pump for $600 - yikes! But, if its used just to replace the OEM Chrysler belt driven pump it might be worth the risk as we could always switch back to the mechanical pump.

Edit: The most common failure of the Mini Cooper electric pump is that the brushes wear because of excessive heat. The unit has an internal cooling fan but the design is prone to be plugged with debris and isn't easily cleaned when in the vehicle. These electro-hydraulic units might not be too bad to use if the local starter/alternator rebuilders were replacing the brushes. I expect I could find a set of brushes that would work. The unit could be periodically cleaned or placed where it isn't exposed to road grit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 Dodge Dart
gmader wrote:
Give me a week or so, and I may have first hand opinions and pics that I can share.

Greg

Did you have a chance to get this installed? Just wondering as my turbo build doesn't have room for conventional power steering.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:23 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Early A bodies with power steering? Boy we are getting wimpy!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdQfjaRAG0

8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:48 pm 
Board Sponsor

emsvitil wrote:
The steering shaft assist systems don't provide feedback. Many new cars use an electric steering rack that is steer-by-wire. The electric rack is criticized for lack of feel, but that was also true for the OEM Mopar system. The electro-hydraulic systems proved to be prone to failure due to excessive heat. Some steer-by-wire electric racks provide some feedback, but I don't know how that might work. Most drivers don't care that they have little road feedback. If I come across the Mini Cooper electric pump in a salvage yard I may get one. Apparently, when you blow out the motor with compressed air once a year the M/C system can last.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:10 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
steer-by-wire electric racks

If this is what it sounds like, it ain't happening for me.I want more than a wire hooked from my hands to the steering rack. I didn't even know they had such a thing? :?

PS After I typed this I thought about it and I guess I should have known. We have self driving cars, but you still have a mechanical steering too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm 
Board Sponsor

Rick Covalt wrote:
Quote:
steer-by-wire electric racks

If this is what it sounds like, it ain't happening for me.I want more than a wire hooked from my hands to the steering rack. I didn't even know they had such a thing? :?

PS After I typed this I thought about it and I guess I should have known. We have self driving cars, but you still have a mechanical steering too.
There is brake-by-wire too. Autonomous driving cars depend upon these features.