Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Tire wear issue
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:44 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
So I know what a broken belt can do (this old thread of mine came up on a search). Not sure what this one is. Passenger front has severe baldness… but only over half its circumference. Worse then it’s owner. The other half is slightly worn compared to the outside but not bad at all.

Nothing seems loose with car in the air. 2x4 lever under the tire trick doesn’t show any ball joint issues.

Kind of itching to rebuild the front and convert to lbp at same time but I don’t want to just throw parts at it if I don’t have to. The drivers side front tire is nearly perfect - very small amount of inner wear if you look close evenly across the entire tire

Post subject: Re: Tire wear issue
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Sounds like it's out of alignment, if only on 1 tire probably camber. Toe would wear them both.
It don't matter what the alignment machine says for toe, too much toe in or out will equalize itself while driving down the road but your steering wheel position will just be off.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:17 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Inspect all the Joints and Tire rod ends for wear / looseness / slop.

Don't forget the Idler arm too.
Good parts and Joints are getting harder to source. Recent Recommendations are for proforged chassis Parts. Moog is under the Federal Mogul Conglomerate and I now question their Quality and Durability.

Replace the Bad Parts.

Then Check / Reset the alignment.

My '62 Valiant is burning the outside edges of the front tires off as well.. I need to do the same thing I described above.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
On my first go around I couldn’t find anything loose. I was just baffled by how it could only be over half the circumference if it was chassis parts related.

On the second go around I thought I felt what was a tiny amount of bearing slop. Tried tightening the spindle nut up but it felt like I had to torque too much to take the slop out. The wheel/tire was still on though. I removed the outer bearing and it looked ok. I’ll take it all apart to check the inner bearing as well and reset preload without the tire.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Your "tiny bit" of play will be different than someone else's "tiny bit"
But I was always taught from a very young age that slightly too loose is better than slightly too tight (when talking about wheel bearing tightness)
That most likely isn't the cause of your tire wear.
I have a 12 dodge reg cab Long bed that came to me with 1 new tire put on 3000 miles before I bought it. Carfax said so and date stamp on tire jived with that time frame)
I bought another one just like it to match brand and model. I have about 4000 on the truck since I bought it. It usually has a drift (light pull) [to the right, unless I have a strong cross wind the other way.
I need to get it in for an alignment.
Anyway the tire on that right side which was the new one that came with the truck, and yesterday I noticed it's starting to wear about 1/3 of the way in from the outside edge. Not bad yet just enough to start being noticeable. I just went out and switched them side for side so they are now actually rotating the opposite direction they were. I'm gonna see if that makes any difference in the pull. Sometimes it is in the tire itself, even if no defect can be detected either on the balancer, by feel or by visual. This used to drive me nuts back when I was the alignment guy.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:27 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I'm at a loss then. I don't think it was more then say 10 thou.

I've read both schools of thought on tapered bearing slack. Some are down with the just at zero to minimize any possible tire wear. Some say leave them loose to allow room for expansion. Manual says install rotor and bearings, spin while torquing to 90in-lb, then back off one retainer notch. A different year manual said tighten to xx ftlb, loosen part turn, then finger tight. I tried that as I didn't have a in-lb torque wrench but that left it way too loose. Again, that was with the tire on though so not all that accurate.

The 2x4 under tire bounce trick to expose bad ball joints - it didn't show anything but with all that weight on them it's kind of hard to tell - maybe it only works if they are super bad.

The 8.75 rear has already been converted to BBP with discs. Front is still KH sbp disc. I want to convert the front to bbp disc so now may be the time... just having a hard time justifying the expense for how often I drive the car. I have two spare sbp tire/wheels in good condition. Tempted to maybe replace the bearings, throw them on and go. If they wear out again then perhaps go for the rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Pierre:
Quote:
Front is still K-H sbp disc.

I had factory option K-H sbp disks on my 67 Dart. Never could get the slop out if the bearing adjustment. One day I discovered both the inner bearing race's had slop when on the spindle. Replacement K-H spindles were not available three years ago.

I purchased, front BBP B body spindles, Cordoba one piston calipers & rotors, rear disk conversion for the 8 3/4 rear axle new master cylinder from Dr Diff as a package, and new 15"Rallye wheels & tires. That B body caliper won't fit in a 14" wheel.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Spindles seem ok. Could hardly get the inners on. They are marked up but I think that was from the past owner. The inner shell of the inside bearing showed no wear.

Yeah I have the 11.75” setup on another car with rear discs. Pedal feel is great with the modern alum master. Kind of itching to try that here with delrin lca and adjustable struts to keep them in check. Funny how cars you drive the least end up costing the most.