Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I’d like to fix the rear suspension. This is a stock 65 valiant with a 225, original 7 1/4 and manual transmission. It’s not bad, but the springs have been there for 25 years and the shocks for much longer. There may be a place or two that require welding, but mostly I think it’s okay. It’s really the front and that needs to be fixed, but I need a little more self-confidence before tackling that…

A few questions just to make sure I’ve understood correctly:
1. Do all the leaves count? Also the longest one that has the bushings. (In that case, I have as many as 7 leaves, which would explain why it feels too sturdy). What does it mean when the FSM talks about 4 1/2 leaves? What is a ½ leave ?

2. How about the interlines as and interleaves? Do you get them if you buy new leaves or is it something that you would have to fix yourself (I think I have seen them being sold separately). Is it worth it? I have none of these the moment.

3. I have seen Espo springs recommended. Is that still true? I found another place that seems cheap (I don’t know about the shipping) http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/78-705.htm. Any experiences? Any other recommendations? I think I’ll go for the 5 leave alternative. Just looking for a decent ride. When I do the front. I plan to keep it relatively original (not upgrading). This is more a grandma car. No sharp cornering needed.

4. I will be buying new shocks also. The old ones must be very old (30-40 years). I have nothing to complain but I guess it is time to change these too, they can’t last forever. Rock auto suggests Monroe-matics or Gabriel (for -65 Dart). I know these are not among the most recommended ones, and I suppose I could afford something a bit more expensive (these are cheap), but is it worth it? And what would it be?

5. About the bushings, shackles etc. The bushings need to replaced. Rubber I suppose. Something good? Something to stay away from?

I know it’s a bit boring, just an ordinary little Valiant, nothing special and pretty regular. Anyway, any ideas very much appreciated. Sorry for the long questions. Any and all answers welcome. The shipping and taxes make the parts much more expensive here in Finland. You really do not want to make mistakes if possible.

Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:35 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
If I were going through the trouble to replace the rear leaf springs, I would upgrade to the six leaf option. It really doesn't make a harsh ride and they will keep their arch much longer, especially if the vehicle is not loaded heavily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks, I'll think about it. The thing is, I have as many as 7 leaves the moment (long one with bushings included). I think that at least one leaf that has been added to the pack before I got the leaves. I grabbed these ones 25 years ago. They were used, but the only ones available and a big improvement. Before them I had a horrible mishmash of very thick van leaves, it was like having no suspension at all.

These are not bad, but they are still a bit stiff. And a bit high. l I fear that new ones with 6 leaves might put the rear as high (even higher?), I don’t know.

Is there evidence that new springs will start to sag early?

Thanks for he input
Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:57 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
On my performance handling cars, or stock cars, I really do not go above 5 leaves. The 65 Valiant is a light car. If you get truly new leaf springs from a good source, then they will take 15-20 yrs to sag, no matter how many leaves they have. I have not dealt with Espo or the "kc" place, but have heard good things. Firmfeel.com is another reliable option and I would trust them to sell you good springs.

Until recently, I had a set of 25 yr old JC Whitney 5 leaf springs on my 64 Dart that never sagged. I went to fiberglass springs to save weight, but I may go back to the old ones. About 10 years ago, I cut the smallest leaf in half so that only the front section was there and cut the next leaf up a little also to soften the spring rate. This made the car handle and ride better. You can do this in your shop after you in stall the springs with an angle grinder (IF you are careful not to cut the leaf above the one you are cutting). You jack up the car and pry apart the spring a little to put a sacrificial spacer in there to protect the other leaf.

Any good set of springs should have the separators/spacers installed, although I have seen sets without them that word fine.

Do not spend less than $200-250 on a set of springs. You will be asking for trouble. If it were me, I would call Firm Feel on the phone and have a conversation with them about what they sell.

Keep us updated and maybe we can help further.

What is your budget? Can you afford good shocks too?

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:27 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for your ideas Lou. I’m a little hesitant about the 6th leave myself, the rear of the 65 seems light. I think in the late sixties early seventies models are a bit heavier. But, as I said, I’m no expert. Different opinions are welcome.

I don’t have any specific budget. This is my daily driver, has been for the last 29 years and will be so as long as I can drive (depending on my illness). Yes, it’s crazy I know, but I love the drive, newer cars that make me just want to get out of them, I get claustrophobic. So the things that have to be fixed, will be fixed. On the other hand, I’ve been on disability pension for 9 years now and it’s not a big one, so… This is not something that has to be done right now, but… If I can do this for a "reasonable" price. I’ll do it. If not, I’ll let it wait.

I have been reading old posts and it seems to me the shocks that do get the praise (mostly Bilstein) tend to be rather expensive. And I do wonder if they are really the right ones for me. They seem more like performance shocks. I’m not dissatisfied with the old ones (very old ones), but if I do find springs, it would be a bit crazy to put the 30 year old shocks back.

I've been chechking the springs now and I'm a bit disappointed. Usually there is always one company that has a reasonable combination of price+shipping, but this seem to be quite expensive. Firm feel quotes prices of $500, if I understand correctly, their pages. General spring’s shipping calculator gives a price of $638 with shipping, that means close to $1000 with taxes and import duty. That’s too much. I will ask them tomorrow if they have any cheaper shipping and see if I get a reply from Espo. Better day tomorrow...

As before, thanks for all the input
Maurice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
A member in Norway had/has a method to cut down on shipping....

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23408

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Ed, a welcome reminder. That company doesn't seem to ship to Finland, but there are others that do. I should really find out about it. Smaller packages aren't maybe cheaper, but something like this...

When money seems tight sometimes when getting parts for your cars, just give us poor souls a thought with our shipping and taxes...

Maurice