Slant Six Forum

Front end kit?
Page 1 of 1

Author:  68 signet [ Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:29 am ]
Post subject:  Front end kit?

Hello everyone, I've had some time off work lately,(and I'm certainly not the only one) so I've had time to get the valiant on the road. Anyway I've been thinking about ordering a "polygraphite"front end kit from, but I've read more bad reviews than good. Has anyone had any experience with this business? Any suggestions on who has a good quality front end kit?

Author:  Dart270 [ Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end kit?

I do not like poly bushings in the upper or lower control arms, but use them for sway bars and rear leaf spring bushings, with plenty of silicone lube.

I like the "proforged" ball joints and tie rod ends, which do not come in a kit.

Moog stuff is mostly garbage unless you can find the stuff made pre 1990 or so.


Author:  csheehy [ Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end kit?

Poly is best used where motion is linear (does not arch). With that in mind, here are my suggestions.
•Good: Upper Control Arm, Rear Leaf Spring, Roll Bar End Links
•Questionable: Roll Bar Intermediate - strongly suggest using only ones that have Zerk fittings if you use one here as you'll need to lube with regularity
•Poor Choice: Strut Rod, Lower Control Arm

As Lou said, use plenty of lube - unlike rubber, which is installed dry, poly is designed to use a lubricant to limit friction and noise. Better designed systems have provisions for grease/Zerk fittings.

All that said, many people have installed poly in every conceivable bushing location with no troubles, but by design, they are best suited to linear applications.

I could be wrong, but this is my experience & knowledge (worth $0.02).

Author:  Dart270 [ Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Front end kit?

Good points, csheehy. UCAs are not stressing those bushings linearly, at least not on my cars. I have seen those chewed up on a road course car. Probably fine on the street for durability, but personally I usually use rubber. I have heim joints in some spots on my cars, but all are rubber in the LCAs, and I have heim joints or rubber on all my strut rods.


Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC-08:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited