Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I recently swapped from 9" to 10" drums and my parking brake intermediate cable is too short by about 2-4" (can't reach the adjusting nut without engaging the parking brake. Is there a different parking brake intermediate cable for 10" brakes?

Also, dude the swap I decided to go for all new parking brake cables and got a reproduction kit from classic industries. The cables are the same length as my old ones and there were no notes about which 9" vs 10" drums. If anyone knows where I went wrong or a source for a cable to fix my issues it would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:56 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
A little more info might help. What vehicle? How did you swap brakes? Did you swap rears? From what to what?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:58 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
1966 Dart 270 4 door. Swapped rears from 7 1/4" to 8 3/8" out of an early 70s A-body.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
The comma shaped lever that the e brake connects to is different from 9 to 10 in brakes but I don't believe that the cables are. Now from a 2 door to a 4 door might make a difference.
And your saying that your cable is wrong because of how you have to access the adjustment nut makes no sense, though I haven't seen the underside of a 66 dart in too many years.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There are 2 scenarios that occurs with parking brakes on A-bodies....

The common version is the change in wheel base 108-111" between the Dart and Valiant, 2 or 4 door, duster vs. scamp...etc... and needing the
appropriate model intermediate cable.

The other scenario is year based... I know that the 1967 A-bodies no matter the brake type had a driver's side lever cable that was about
4-5" longer than the passenger side (not sure about pre-1966)... the later A/F-body cables are equal side to side...so if you swap the late rear
and don't swap the old cables to the new transplant, you will need to get the late model longer intermediate cable...

Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
The '66 intermediate cable is one long piece that loops around a bracket attached to the front parking brake cable and attaches at either end to the rear cables that enter the backing plates. My issue is that the front cable doesn't reach the attachment point on the intermediate cable. The only way to connect them is to remove the drums so the shoes open up fully (obviously this won't work because I'd basically be driving around with the parking brake on).

The cables that enter the backing plates are equal length, same as the 7 1/4" cables. I'm only missing a couple inches of room. Maybe it's just low quality reproduction cables? Or a combo of the extra 1" on each brake cable plus the fact that the new cables are not yet stretched?

Anyone know where I might find someone who can make a cable with swaged balls on either end at a specific length?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:43 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Having trouble seeing in my mind what is happening. (Old age) Maybe a picture of the ends that are too short? Could you just make a steel bracket/link to fit where the gap is?

The cables will not stretch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I lengthened the Part that connects / Links the 2 cables together on my 64 Dart. - When I switched to rear discs, I ordered new cables for the rear discs and the link that connected the intermediate to the rear cable was now a 1/2" short - I just cut it open and welded in some metal to get the proper adjustment back with the new rear discs and cables - your solution might be just as simple.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I found the original parking brake cables that enter the rear housing. The cable is about 5-6" longer than the the original cables on the Dart. And the return spring that holds the bracket is about 1" longer.

These measurements seem to align with how far off the intermediate cable was. I ended up ordering a custom cable with swaged plain ball ends. But I'm a bit concerned about the shorter spring. Anyone have thoughts?