Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:48 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: D150
I'll be rebuilding the steering column and need your help if you've done one. On the steering box end, the
"shaft slip joint" does that need to be replaced? Or can it stay in place and only rebuild the guts "DORMAN 425253" of the unit? Now on the firewall side, I have play at that location as well. Is there a grommet in the aftermarket world?

PS: The steering coupler looks good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
Not sure if you are trying to tighten up the connection between the front wheels and the steering wheel, or to remove slop from the steering wheel as it moves inside the column..

Also I've never been into a steering column.. But I imagine a parts book would be very helpful.. Both in understanding what parts may wear out, as well as how the pieces all fit together. The book would also be very helpful in locating parts on the web by part number as well.

Also I would not imagine that the slip joint would need replacement. I could be totally wrong, but I am assuming that it is there, in the event of a collision, so that the whole steering wheel does not come through the drivers chest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
ok that Dorman number is for the steering coupler at the bottom of the column. Is that all of the column that you are working on? or are you talking about the top of the column (inside the truck)?
what is the problem with the column? Is something busted? is it sloppy to drive? Is it a tilt column, that is loose at the tilt pivot? need more info.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:11 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

The slip coupler is where the play is and my intent was to rebuild the internal guts, but I'm going replace with a steering shaft assembly.

Attachments:
shaft.jpg
shaft.jpg [ 11.47 KiB | Viewed 4020 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:18 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

PS: There also is some play where the column passes through the fire wall. Do you guys know what's involved with that repair?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
d1501983CKP33 wrote:
PS: There also is some play where the column passes through the fire wall. Do you guys know what's involved with that repair?

There is probably a bearing or bushing in the bottom end of the steering column outer tube that supports the shaft. That bearing/bushing may be worn out and need to be replaced or it could just be loose. Something as simple as a missing screw or 2 could be the issue. Any play in the column either at the top or bottom will result in inefficient transfer of steering input to the steering gear input causing loose or imprecise steering.

On the other hand, it could be as simple is a loose mounting bracket under the dash.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.