Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:21 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 1967 VC Valiant
Hi there

Can anyone recommend a good quality front suspension kit/supplier for a 67 Valiant? Any pitfalls/quality issues to look out for?

Rubber or poly (say SuperPro) bushings or a combination of the two?

This is for a daily driver/road tripper.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Are you wanting just stock style components, like control arm bushings and tie rods ends and ball joints?
I tend to shop AutoZone-RockAuto-NAPA and compare prices and warranties.

If you are wanting to go up market check out the web sites for: PST and FirmFeel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Stock type rubber bushings for upper and lower Control arms can be had almost anywhere. - Napa Is a good source as well as rockauto.com .

Moog used to be the standard, but I am not sure of that anymore.

Ball joints: I have used and have been recommended to use proforged. They have been touted as superior than Moog in recent years.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:44 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Historically, I have used a lot of Moog suspension parts over the years, with good success.
Thanks for the lead on Proforged because that may be another good option as we move through the 21st century.

I say this because I have seen some "newer" replacement lower ball joints (LBJ) that appear to have a smaller ball assembly.
Older Moog LBJ have a round "bucket" that houses / holds the ball-stud.
Some newer LBJ units have a smaller, cone shaped bucket. I usually get these in low cost "kits" I buy.

I need to cut some old LBJs open but from the outside, it looks like a "cheaper" version to me... plus, you never know what type of steel they are using on those low cost replacement parts.
At least Proforged is saying they are using good quality steel but I don't know the ball size or if a slightly smaller ball size really makes a difference in performance or durability.
DD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:06 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 4dr Sedan 225 CID Auto
Hi Mark,

I have not used rock auto much but this spring I did get everything for the front steering for my 64 Valiant from rock auto which seemed to be the best/easiest place to get everything from in 1 spot at the same time! If your not familiar with rock auto there are different brands, grades and warranties available for most parts. There were also many name brand parts like AC Delco and Moog. I bought all upper level parts in rubber (it seemed to work well for 57 years!) and so far so good!

I would be cautious of a company/individual who sells complete steering kits online and on E-bay under the name of "Cleveland Chassis" out of Florida. He advertises High quality parts with lifetime warranties (which is untrue) and implies that parts are all of the same brand. He has little or no inventory so what he does is drop ship to you the cheapest economy parts he can find from multiple places like rock auto (economy line, $4 ball joints ect) and parts geek among others. He don't provide all the tracking numbers and you will only get about half the parts you order (seems to be his mo). Little or no communication until you threaten to return or take other actions and in the end that's just what you'll have to do. It's just a big waste of time and resources and a month or two of your life you'll never get back!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:00 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Not sure if the VC is very different from the American A body, I have used kits from Firm Feel, ESPO, Spring N Things,
each is good, but some have better upgrade options than others... I've even parted together components off Rock Auto
as well (price wasn't much different than the other kits, just lots of time working on getting correct part numbers...)

The one issue that comes up here in the US is the 1967 Idler arms mounts to a stud on a tab on the K-member, most kits
assume the 1968+ K-member that has 2 tabs and the idler arm mounts with a bolt through the pivot assembly... the pitman and
idler arm are different for the 1973-1976 A-body and won't mount correctly with the 1967-1972 suspension components.

FYI.