Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:54 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: Mazda RX8 slant six swap
I am planning on using six LS coils mounted on top of the valve cover, stock or aluminum. Since I am planning on deleting the distributor, I am going to use that hole as an oil fill by putting in a tube with a modern threaded oil cap. My 85 slant has a hose that goes into the air cleaner, but my 91 Chevy 5.7 doesn't.

I would like to eliminate the oil fill cap and air intake hose from my valve cover.

Does the PVC system work without the air hose from the air cleaner housing? Somehow GM did away with it.

And, it would seem that pulling a slight vacuum on the crankcase might help eliminate oil leaks.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:40 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No. You have to have an air inlet into the crankcase. Your '91 Chev 5.7 (I had one of those, too) has one—you just haven't looked closely enough.

It's a good idea to make sure you actually, really understand how things work before you take them apart and reconfigure them. Otherwise you'll wind up paying in money and tears.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:30 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

SlantSixDan wrote:
No. You have to have an air inlet into the crankcase. Your '91 Chev 5.7 (I had one of those, too) has one—you just haven't looked closely enough.

It's a good idea to make sure you actually, really understand how things work before you take them apart and reconfigure them. Otherwise you'll wind up paying in money and tears.

I found it. Its in the back of the metal spacer under the air cleaner. It doesn't have the mesh filter that I am used to.

I came to your forum to ask questions so that I might "actually , really understand how things work".

I don't understand why you are speaking down to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:03 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan has a habit of speaking down to people, especially to people new to the forum.
If you can ignore his attitude there is an opportunity to learn those things you want to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
MazdaRX8/6 wrote:

I didn't mean to—that was my (irrelevant) opinion of the wisdom of your RX8 Slant-6 project seepin' through. Matter of fact, I appreciate you and ProCycle reminding me why I 'retired' from answering questions here! :mrgreen: I'll head back out of earshot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
MazdaRX8/6 wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:

I found it. Its in the back of the metal spacer under the air cleaner. It doesn't have the mesh filter that I am used to.

I came to your forum to ask questions so that I might "actually , really understand how things work".

I for one rejoice when Dan shares his perspective, or knowledge. Everything he said above is true, in my experience.

Dan may also not think much of my engine swap project, but is still willing to share knowledge, wisdom based upon his experience in a way that that is clear enough for me to identify how to find a solution to a problem I don't yet fully understand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:07 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Thanks guys. In my view, hotrodding is all about building something that you can't buy. I go to the car show and see lots of cars that people have spent countless hours building or restoring, and besides the respect for the time, money, and thought that went into it, I move on. I would never build a rat rod, but I give my respect for the effort.

I don't have any interest in driving a 50 year old car, regardless of how fast it is. Matter of fact, most of those cars were dangerous when they were new. Poor brakes, poor handling, no air bags, hoods that sheared away and cut your head off. Nothing against those cars, I had a 56 Chevy and a 1975 Jeep CJ5. My buddy had a Chevy pickup with the gas tank behind the seat. I'm glad we were never in a wreck

So, my quest is to take a 1959 engineered engine and see how close I can get it to modern standards by upgrading pistons, rods, valves, head, ignition, and fuel system. The RX8 is a super handling car, is dirt cheap, and has tons of aftermarket support. I want a safe car with power windows, locks, cruise, all 4 disc brakes, 18" wheels, rack and pinion steering, etc.

I don't care if people like my project. The more people who dislike it the better. Maybe I'll have the only one in the world. BUT, my 22 year old son and his buddies think it is cool and want to help. They have been watching Uncle Tony's Garage and a circa 1960 Chrysler film explaining the slant. We are pulling the slant out of the pickup Sunday. They are excited. And if any of you guys gave kids, you know how tough it is to find things to do together.

I mentioned in my first post that I will be divorced soon. My daily driver is a 1991 Suburban with 400,000 miles. I need a car to go places in, and it won't be 1960's Dart. Sorry.

I could LS, or 2JZ swap, but why? The RX8 was built to corner, not drag or drift.

So, I appreciate the help from all. I appreciate this forum because, with few exceptions, people here are patient even with the teenagers just learning about the slant and just wanting the thing to start and run.

Thank you for being patient with my questions that seem simple or silly.

I will be posting pictures soon of the slant in the RX8 engine bay. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Dan isn't someone that tries to slam or be harsh in his comments. He just gives straight forward advice and accounts based on his vast knowledge and experience. He doesn't use 10 words when 5 is enough to get his point across. So don't feel he is beating up on you if his comments seem short or sharp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If I were presented with an RX-8 needing an engine I would choose an engine with power and weight characteristics much closer to the original Renesis. I'd also save myself much time, and likely money, by not building an engine, but buying one. The Toyota 3SGE BEAMS engine looks like an excellent choice and is less than $2000 as a low mileage import. And just maybe someone gets use out of the pickup that isn't dismantled.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
It's always hard to not interject personal feelings into threads like this and to just answer the question and stay neutral. But I agree with Josh regarding using the Slant as a swap option. There are many more desirable candidates for the swap. The really low hood line of the Mazda may still make the Slant too tall and it will definitely be much more heavy than the original engine. But it's the OP dream and goal as well as money to use as he chooses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:59 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

CNC-Dude wrote:
It's always hard to not interject personal feelings into threads like this and to just answer the question and stay neutral. But I agree with Josh regarding using the Slant as a swap option. There are many more desirable candidates for the swap. The really low hood line of the Mazda may still make the Slant too tall and it will definitely be much more heavy than the original engine. But it's the OP dream and goal as well as money to use as he chooses.

I'll let you know the weight difference soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I'd have to say that it's less about what engine might be an appropriate swap and more about how awesome an RX8 chassis would be as a home for a slant motor.

Back in the 60s a ford V8 wasn't an "appropriate" swap for the AC Ace but the end result was the Shelby Cobra. That turned out to be a great home for some American V8 power.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
I just hope the project gets finished. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
In the mid 1960s the Ford 289 was probably the lightest, most compact American V8 in production and it made decent power. It's lighter than a 225!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:26 am 
3 Deuce Weber

ProCycle wrote:
I'd have to say that it's less about what engine might be an appropriate swap and more about how awesome an RX8 chassis would be as a home for a slant motor.

Back in the 60s a ford V8 wasn't an "appropriate" swap for the AC Ace but the end result was the Shelby Cobra. That turned out to be a great home for some American V8 power.

ProCycle, I read the whole thread on the turbo S10 project. Much respect. My project will be a tiny fraction of what you did. I have some machining, fabricating, and welding skills, but my hat is off to you, sir.