Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 505 TO /6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:02 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Going in a very different direction. Trying V/SA. If you are familiar with NHRA Stock Eliminator, I need a bit of help on this new build. Other than good quality machining practices, what's my best direction for getting my 1979 Volare 225/2 under the listed index of 15.50. Right now I have modified a 8 3/4 to replace the 7 1/4 rear. I have 4.56, 4.88 and 5.38 available. The intake is the 2 piece aluminum intake that I have cleaned and sealed. I need to know what RPM this motor should/would turn with the rules and any suggestion for a torque converter. I think my 904 2.74 1st gear should fit the /6 case.

Post subject: Re: 505 TO /6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
You need to talk with Mike Jefferies.
He was a long time slant six class racer.
He lives in Kearney NE but has quit racing.

Attachments:
MikeJefferysII.jpg
MikeJefferysII.jpg [ 51.55 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Are headers permitted? If using the factory exhaust manifold, I would grind the outlet to at least 2 1/4". Not all super six exhaust manifolds were that size, my 79 Volare wagon came with the super six and still had the smaller sized exhaust outlet and pipe. If you have to go with stock specs in the compression department, verify what you have as slants are notorious for having well below factory specs, (sometimes less than 7:1). If you can, remove all engine drive accessories that you are permitted to, Air Pump, power steering, A/C, whatever you can get away with. Hot Rod magazine was running back to back drag tests of the slant six and accidently discovered that leaving the fan belt OFF got them an additional 20 HP (seriously).
NHRA class racing will be a tough road with a slant six, especially in a heavy Volare. Best of luck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
You will definitely want camshaft info from Mike, if you have to run stock lift!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
First thing you need to do is get the spec book from the NHRA. It will tell you what you can and can't do. It will also give you weight, etc.

The big money will be cam, valve springs, ring package and converter. If you know who to call at Comp you can probably still get a cam.

If you have coated and sealed the intake it is probably now illegal. They are sticklers about that. You can find a 1 piece that will be legal.

Your 8-3/4 housing must be the same width exactly as the 7-1/4 you took out. You'll want at least the 4.86 gear, and probably 5.13.

This is still a decent combo to run, but don't expect to set any records. The V-6 Chevy is in your class and underfactored.

Mike's old Dippy is still being run. It went 3 rounds at the US Nationals last year getting in as an alternate.

You can get a lot of good information on www.classracer.com .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I checked Mike out on classracer and he's not listed in the community, well at least not as Mike Jefferies. Anyone have a contact info?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
No, Mike is not on Classracer. There is plenty of information on there to get you going.

I talked to Mike this morning. He wishes you well on your build, but he sold all his notes and books with the car in 2017 and is retired. He suggested you start with the guide book from the NHRA and go from there.