Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A nerd question coming up, get some coffee & eye drops... Perhaps the Doc has performed a few dino test pulls examining this same scenario.

Josh:

[url=http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=230830&highlight=#230830photos & text[/url] showing manifold plenum divider, and Clifford intake.

I performed a few calculations to illustrate the percent difference in runner length when a 4 bl. carburetor is mounted with primaries facing forward. The results listed # 1 to # 6 cylinder using nominal lengths in inches including roughly 5" of head passage to the valve seat. The center of the primaries are located approximately 1" ahead of the manifold center line making each runner different length:
# 1=18"---90%
# 2=13"---65%
# 3=11"---55%
# 4=12"---60%
# 5=15"---75%
# 6=20"---100%
Total runner length=89" / 6=14.8"

This set up yields runner lengths varying up to 45%. This has to change the torque output of each cylinder, but by how much? I know that longer runners tend to produce higher torque hence the Hyper Pack manifold which has close to equal runner length for all cylinders.

If one were to turn the carburetor 90 degrees locating the primaries to the left side (west) placing them the greatest distance from the valve seat, and dividing the manifold so that cylinders 1, 2, & 3 run on half the carburetor with one primary & one secondary feeding them, and the same for 4, 5, & 6, the percent difference between runner lengths diminishes to the following:

# 1=18"---100%
# 2=14"---77%
# 3=13"---72%
# 4=13"---72%
# 5=14"---77%
# 6=18"---100%
Total runner length=90" / 6=15.0"

This set up yields runner lengths varying up to 28%, a 17% reduction from the first illustration.

Dose this reduction in percent difference in runner length make for a smother performing engine producing higher torque? My gut is telling me the second set up is the better of the two. But, how much better?