Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I'm new to this forum but not to Mopars or the SL6.
Had many over the years but currently don't have one...
Can someone please tell me what is the overall length, Minus Fan and Width of the slant six?
I want to swap a Slant into a little car and need to know if it will Fit... It's characteristics & fit that Im looking for in an engine and I would like to clean the clocks of various SB chevy and Ford freaks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Sorry I don't know the length. But out of curiosity, how small is the car you are you putting it in? I once saw an article where a guy put a 318 in a 1985 Toyota Supra, I always fancied doing something like that with a slant six and a car of similar likeness. It's blow the doors off all those little tuner freaks and there sh$%box Hondas and their fart can mufflers. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Welcome!

This has been covered a few times on this site. Please use the search function and see what you turn up first. The 170 might also be a good choice due to height.

What car are you looking to swap into?

Best wishes,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Roughly 22" Wide and 32" Long with the fan on it. You'll save maybe three inches without the fan if your still carrying the water pump up front. It sticks out quite a ways.

Now its only fair. Tell us what your planning to bolt it into! :D

I still think about the Cricket MiDi showed me up at Wildcat.. That'd be a rocket!

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 am 
Guru

Car Model:

DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Ok so It may not fit... I got banned from the Pinto forum because I wanted to put a Mopar Engine in the Pinto I picked up this spring Not being a ford Guy and all they didn't exactly like it... Being as this is a Mopar forum I was reluctant to say I wanted to put it into a Pinto for the same reason. Will be doing some measurements to see but it maybe slightly too long. I already had a Eaton M-90 Supercharger but the lil engine can't pull the supercharger so looking to swap to a larger engine I checked out some engine weight charts and the SL6 weighs in at 475lbs only 25 lbs heavier than the 4 banger, the reason for not wanting a v-8 is too keep the handling so weightwise this would work. The long stroke can make the torque needed to run the SC and years back some chevy guys told me there was no way to make a slant 6 run and I'd be best to swap in a v-8... I'm Mopar true to heart had chevy's Fords but really there is no other brand im more loyal too just wish they had a lighter car to do it with albeit a race prepped A-body could hit below 3k lbs.
This I know:
HP/Weight Ratios win races
10/1 will net you a 12sec car (geared properly)
The SL6 is built for boost Beefiest bottom end known to man

I will be posting in the Supercharger topic the things I've learned just to clear up some minor differences.

Just don't shoot me for thinking about the Pinto although after some research I don't think there is room for what I want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:35 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I used to own a 72 Pinto. It would be a VERY tight fit lengthwise to shoehorn a slant six into the engine bay, and you will definitely be doing major modifications to the floorpan to put any kind of a slant six transmission under there. You would have to run an electric fan set up as a pusher, and possibly put the radiator on the bumper side of the firewall or run a custom radiator. Hood clearance would be an issue, but you can get some neat cowl induction hood scoops for Pintos or you can cut a hole and run a big scoop on top of the carb/supercharger.

Pintos are cute, but if I was putting this much work into one I would build a big shield to protect the gas tank from rear end collisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 pm 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
This is for sure not the usual swap that ya hear about, but I am mostly in favor of being different just for the sake of being different.
If I had more time and money, and more space, I'd love to build up a slant powered street rod. It would look sort of like an old Ford T-bucket.
Or, I could get a basic frame built, put a slant between the framrails, and get a Dodge Omni/Pylmouth Horizon body and make it look sort of like an old panel delivery type rod.

The possibilities are endless,
when there's a loose nut behind the wheel! :twisted:

Have fun!

Last edited by Wesola78 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I don't know if your weights are correct but it looks like the aluminum block would put you 55lb under the Pinto engine.

We had a 1973. The tires (Michelin radials) lasted longer than the body (Chicago salt).

Since you will be altering a bunch of stuff, use the truck pan (rear sump).

Why not think R5 Turbo vs Le Car and make it mid-engine? Or the Shogun (Fiesta with Yamaha V6 from an SHO).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
In a Pinto, I say run a T2 or T3 turbocharged 2.2. That would blow the doors off of just about anything out there and would be an easier fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
nwstal wrote:
Ok so It may not fit... I got banned from the Pinto forum because I wanted to put a Mopar Engine in the Pinto I picked up this spring Not being a ford Guy and all they didn't exactly like it... Being as this is a Mopar forum I was reluctant to say I wanted to put it into a Pinto for the same reason.

Well, I suggest this isn't strictly a Mopar forum, but more about the slant six that happens to be a Mopar engine.
As far as I'm concerned, welcome on board! :D

There's a non-mopar body or two here that runs a slant......"Fopar", (I think), has a '54(?) Ford sporting a slant up front. Tom Drake has a turbocharged slant in the front of a little Simca, and that one's turned a 9.85 in the quarter. (He can also stargaze at night races.)

I've got a slant stuffed into the engine bay of an '81 Mitsubishi-built Challenger, but had to bump the firewall back a bit to do it. (The rear cylinder is on the "wrong" side of the firewall.) I can close the stock hood down, even with an air cleaner on the two-barrel carb.
I'm currently at a standstill on it, but it has made 4 passes at the local track. (Turned in disappointing times, but it was mostly as a test run anyway.)
Almost forgot.....it weighs in at 2440, and still has the safety glass in it.

Don't be afraid to hack that Pinto up a bit, but do build a structure underneath to join the subframes together at the very least. I'd also strongly recommend an 8-point cage at the minimum.
I also recommend the use of a rear-sump (van & pickup) oil pan.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:08 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
You guys are awesome... measurement from the back of the stock block to the grill is 30" Major firewall Modification 8 inches and it could fit with the stock radiator location... Was going to sh*tcan the idea until all you got your two cents in. It would be fun and Race wieghts could be sub 2000lbs Intended it to be a Race car so what the hay Stuff a 8 3/4 in the rear and it will haul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
And as far as the gas tank shield a fuel cell solves "The barbecue that seats four" problem, Switch to a manual Rack and... the possibilities are endless and would it ever suck to get stomped by a Pinto with a S6 I'm liking this idea better by the minute guess I'll have to buy a new car cuz It won't be a kid hauler anymore hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I have seen a Ford 300 six in a Pinto........impressive yet evil.

I have seen a 5L V8 in a Pinto....impressive yet evil

......there seems to be a common theme there focussed on weight distribution.

Personally Id do a DOHC 1600cc Ford from a Lotus Elan with a 5 speed

Impressive ,,,,,,and light .....and way fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
hack the firewall....make frame /rollbar....unibody design,will twist...i had one that one wheel was in air till used powerram corner to corner to take twist out of body ...lol
sounds like a fun project

keep on roddin'

ps dont forget the pictures