Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
I am looking into a Toyota land cruiser radiators for my Dodge M37 slant six swap. Rock auto has a 3 row aluminum, and 3 & 4 row metal radiators..

I am under the impression that electric fan's do not like thick radiator cores, so that I should be limiting my search to a 3 row radiator. At the present moment the slant six is stock, and it will generally be in a slow speed application... 50 MPH 20% of the time 5-20MPH 20% of the time, and 20-40MPH 60% of the time/miles driven.

What are your thoughts in regards to how radiator thickness, effects cooling efficiency, when considered with vehicle speed. I am trying to resist the urge to go "bigger is better" as I believe the land cruiser had something like a 4.2 liter inline six... so the cooling load should be about the same as a stock slant 6.

Any and all perspectives, are welcome.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
This won't answer your question.

I prefer brass/copper because you can fix minor seam leaks yourself with solder and a plumbers torch...……….

8)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
See here (one of five chapters—others linked at bottom of page)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:13 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
SlantSixDan wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:51 am 
EFI Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:

Thank you Dan! I am now on the lookout for an idle lock fan clutch assembly. With Evans coolant, I am comfortable that a 3 row radiator would be sufficient.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:54 am 
EFI Slant 6

emsvitil wrote:
This won't answer your question.

I prefer brass/copper because you can fix minor seam leaks yourself with solder and a plumbers torch...……….

Good enough reasoning for me. The last radiator shop I know of retired a few years ago. The space is now a new car dealership overflow lot..

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 am 

Car Model:
Quote:
Thank you Dan! I am now on the lookout for an idle lock fan clutch assembly. With Evans coolant, I am comfortable that a 3 row radiator would be sufficient.

Yup, surely would. Glad to help. Good fan: here

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:55 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Evans coolant, lol. I prefer to go out and capture 3 or 4 of the meanest snakes I can, then I squeeze them over a funnel and collect enough oil to fill up the radiator. It's organic, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:16 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
GregCon wrote:
Evans coolant, lol. I prefer to go out and capture 3 or 4 of the meanest snakes I can, then I squeeze them over a funnel and collect enough oil to fill up the radiator. It's organic, too.

Why?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:32 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

I'm making fun of 'Evans coolant' by comparing it to snake oil.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:05 pm 

Car Model:
GregCon wrote:
I'm making fun of 'Evans coolant' by comparing it to snake oil.
Haw haw haw, good one! LOLROFL, etc.
You can replace your dismissive guesses and assumptions with facts here. Or not; it's your choice. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:30 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Or I could side with all of the automakers and race teams who don't use it. I'd probably note that in no place do the Evans people state the efficiency of their goo-goo as compared to water. I'd also note that if you're running a Slant Six and have to rely on a special goo-goo in the radiator to keep it cool, you got bigger problems.

Or, I could side with the anecdotal, non-scientific 'experiment of one guy with a 1989 Dodge pickup who used his ear to listent for detonation.

Tough choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:18 am 
EFI Slant 6

GregCon wrote:
Or I could side with all of the automakers and race teams who don't use it. I'd probably note that in no place do the Evans people state the efficiency of their goo-goo as compared to water. I'd also note that if you're running a Slant Six and have to rely on a special goo-goo in the radiator to keep it cool, you got bigger problems.

Or, I could side with the anecdotal, non-scientific 'experiment of one guy with a 1989 Dodge pickup who used his ear to listent for detonation.

Tough choice.

I do agree with your stated perspective that Slant Six's are generally easy to cool, and if there is a problem, then the heat transfer liquid is probably not the issue... and....

You are welcome to share your actual experience with the product. If you have any to share...

You can even express reservations about the product, and how you have come to that conclusion, and I would read and consider your perspective.

As for Venting what sounds like Frustration-Sarcasm, it is your choice, but omitting the context of why-how you have arrived at such a state, limit's the impact of your opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:23 am 
EFI Slant 6

SlantSixDan wrote:
Quote:

Yup, surely would. Glad to help. Good fan: here

I've acutally got 3 MB fans around here.. although the metal ones in stock are only 5 blade I believe.. I did NOT realize they had an idle lock, and assumed they were somewhat freewheeling at an idle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:31 am 

Car Model:
Jase wrote:
You are welcome to share your actual experience with the product. If you have any to share...
You can even express reservations about the product, and how you have come to that conclusion, and I would read and consider your perspective. As for Venting what sounds like Frustration-Sarcasm, it is your choice, but omitting the context of why-how you have arrived at such a state, limit's the impact of your opinion.

Psst: GregCon doesn't like me. Shhh, it's a secret! Image