Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
With the motor pulled out of the 83 D150 for a clutch and cam change this was an opportunity to flow that Slant head on the Super Flow 110.
About 8 years ago when I built the slant in the 83 D150 I put OS valves in the head and did some moderate porting, I did a lot of smoothing on the inside radius, but other than some minor blending no work at the valve guide boss.
I did have that head flowed by a company here in Indy, they used a Saenz 680 Digital flow bench and tested at 28 inches.
My Super Flow 110 tests at 10 inches, but there is a conversion formula that allows on to convert for direct comparisons, port flow tests ran at different inches of water.

the charts below show the results.
Remember, this is the same ports in the same head with the same valves tested on two different flow benches.
The two tests were ran nearly 8 years apart, but I cleaned up the ports and the valves so the second test was with parts that are representative of the parts originally tested.

My conclusions are:
The Super Flow 110 at 10 inches tracks close to the 28 inch test up to about 150 CFM, as shown on the intake chart. There is still some upward movement at the higher CFM levels at the 10 inches but it is at a lower rate of change. This indicates to me that the Super Flow test results in the .400 and above ranges are likely better than reported when tested at 10 inches.
The Exhaust chart shows good tracking across the range of readings as the exhaust flow gets close to the 150 CFM value but does not exceed it.

I found this interesting and confirms why larger ports with more flow need larger pressure drops to maintain test sensitivity.

I have other heads that I have ported since I did this head from the 83 D150. The later heads had a lot more massaging and showed a good rate of flow climb at the higher flow rates and valve openings. The comparison above makes me think they are better at the higher lifts than I thought they were.

I will have some time after I get the 83 D150 back on the road and I will do a similar comparison of the flow rates of the original ported 83 D150 head as tested above and some later heads and detail what was different among them.

Attachments:
Super Flow 110.jpg
Super Flow 110.jpg [ 78.28 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]
Intake Flow 83 Head.jpg
Intake Flow 83 Head.jpg [ 69.15 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]
Exhaust Flow 83 Head.jpg
Exhaust Flow 83 Head.jpg [ 70.25 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Have you gotten the motor fired up yet? Any seat of the pants dyno reports?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
DadTruck wrote:
With the motor pulled out of the 83 D150 for a clutch and cam change this was an opportunity to flow that Slant head on the Super Flow 110.
About 8 years ago when I built the slant in the 83 D150 I put OS valves in the head and did some moderate porting, I did a lot of smoothing on the inside radius, but other than some minor blending no work at the valve guide boss.
I did have that head flowed by a company here in Indy, they used a Saenz 680 Digital flow bench and tested at 28 inches.
My Super Flow 110 tests at 10 inches, but there is a conversion formula that allows on to convert for direct comparisons, port flow tests ran at different inches of water.

the charts below show the results.
Remember, this is the same ports in the same head with the same valves tested on two different flow benches.
The two tests were ran nearly 8 years apart, but I cleaned up the ports and the valves so the second test was with parts that are representative of the parts originally tested.

My conclusions are:
The Super Flow 110 at 10 inches tracks close to the 28 inch test up to about 150 CFM, as shown on the intake chart. There is still some upward movement at the higher CFM levels at the 10 inches but it is at a lower rate of change. This indicates to me that the Super Flow test results in the .400 and above ranges are likely better than reported when tested at 10 inches.
The Exhaust chart shows good tracking across the range of readings as the exhaust flow gets close to the 150 CFM value but does not exceed it.

I found this interesting and confirms why larger ports with more flow need larger pressure drops to maintain test sensitivity.

I have other heads that I have ported since I did this head from the 83 D150. The later heads had a lot more massaging and showed a good rate of flow climb at the higher flow rates and valve openings. The comparison above makes me think they are better at the higher lifts than I thought they were.

I will have some time after I get the 83 D150 back on the road and I will do a similar comparison of the flow rates of the original ported 83 D150 head as tested above and some later heads and detail what was different among them.

DadTruck, forgive my ignorance, but what are you plotting there? I guess the Y axis are CFM, but the X?. The other questions is at what temperature you did the test, if you recall. (I assume both tests are made in the same city (similar pressure) but temperature can affect a little the flow results. Still you probably did it in winter and temperatures will be on the low side, which helps your readings).

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The Y is CFM as mentioned.
The X is lift at the valve opening.

The flow bench has a calibration process using a set of plates with known orifice sizes that allows one to establish exactly what the machine is pulling at that days air temperature and humidity conditions.
There is an accompanying coefficient table then used to correct the observed reading to a standardized test result.

Last edited by DadTruck on Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:49 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
DadTruck wrote:
The Y is CFM as mentioned.
The X is lift at the valve opening.

The flow bench has a calibration process using a set of plates with known opening sizes that allows one to establish exactly what the machine is pulling at that days air temperature and humidity conditions.
There is an accompanying coefficient table then used to correct the observed reading to a standardized test result.

Thanks! Your analysis makes sense. And thanks for sharing the data!

Image...there's nothing like using the "Search" link above to solve most of your problems...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:21 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Hi DadTruck
In the earlier picture of the cut head, is that the detail of the guide cut down on the roof?
Is this where you saw the improvement after removing material?

Is this a big valve seat? Like 1.7.

And does this make sense to remove material from the roof radius to the seat bowl?
Instead of the arc that is there in the picture.

Attachments:
Guide cut head.jpg
Guide cut head.jpg [ 78.98 KiB | Viewed 728 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
What I am showing with the white paint mark is where to remove material to get a port bowl shape that mimics what I found on the Mike J head that I made a plastic mold of to get the port shape.

That modification and removing some material from the roof of the port arm just ahead of the valve guide gives the air flow straighter shot to the back of the valve.

The head section shown is a stock slant six head, no port or valve seat work was done on it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:56 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
In addition, one would also do the standard port work: trim the short side radius and blend the connection of the port arm to the bowl to straighten the flow to the back side of the valve as much as possible.
Remember that no matter what one does in the port arm and bowl a good multi angle valve seat is more important.

Last edited by DadTruck on Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:04 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Port arm?, do you mean the passage from the intake flange to the valve bowl?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:18 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yes