Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I have an early air cleaner assembly, and I too like the looks. A little bit of intake air noise won't bother me.
My issue is that the neck of the original base is too small for a BBD.

I'm looking at a couple of ideas to fix that.

Either modify the original base that came with the cover, or cut out the base off of a stock 318 air cleaner and put that under the "super 225" lid that I have, something like that.
Or even a combo of both, cut out the ring from the 318 filter base and the carb ring out of the "super 225" filter base and MIG weld the ring from the 318 filter housing to the rest of the original "super 225" base. I'm also gonna add the nipple from the underside of the 318 base to the "super 225" base for the inlet to the PCV filter in the valve cover. It draws air from the "inside" of the air filter element.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:39 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I imagine that you are not going to see any improvement in anything by drilling holes. But that being said, It won't hurt a thing. Drill some holes and see what happens. No one will see them and you are already pulling air in from the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Detailed math is here.

The '70-up air cleaner with the thermostatic snorkel is better for driveability/performance and fuel economy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:15 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
…if ya really want to open up the air cleaner, the recipe is the baseplate and carburetor bail from a '63-'67 small/tall (9") air cleaner, with the lid from the '61-'69 large/flat (11") air cleaner. Both air cleaners take the same filter element, and this will result in a big 1" gap between the lid and the base. There will be zero improvement in performance or fuel economy or anything else, but you will hear the engine's intake snarl when you floor the accelerator, and the carburetor hiss at other times. That's how I would've got my first-ever traffic ticket, if the cop hadn't taken pity on me and made it a warning. I was so busy listening to the roar in second gear up a hill that I lost track of the speedometer, came round a curve, and there was a cop who heard me coming and knew he had a fat fish on the hook.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:30 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: Dodge Coronet 440
SlantSixDan wrote:
Detailed math is here.

The '70-up air cleaner with the thermostatic snorkel is better for driveability/performance and fuel economy.

Yes, the math works out even at a fair amount less than 3/8" gap. For sure the gap I see on mine is less than 1/4". But of course the engine would not run right at all if it wasn't getting enough air for the carb which it is. I'll leave mine stock too.

Jon