Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Holley 1945 problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 62 Valiant 200, 75 Valiant Custom
Hi there frm the Netherlands,
next to my beloved 62 Valiant i own a 75 Valiant Custom equipped with the Holley 1945. The 62 has the Carter BBS, never any problem, the Holley just drives me mad. After rebuild and applying Dan´s "fuel mod" the car runs a bit better but still sometimes stalling when hot. Now I´m thinking to swap to the Carter BBS, problem here in Europe is where to get one. Autoline is selling the rebuild C591 but only if turning in the old one, well I don´t have one. Is it just a plug and play to swap to the Carter BBS ? What else could you do to make the 1945 run better. No matter what you do it is always running too lean, no power, huge fuel consumption compared to the 62 Valiant which I must admit has a manual tranny.
Both cars are in mint condition and well maintained.

Post subject: Re: Holley 1945 problems
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
that carb seems very "feast or famine".... either you get a good one that works great, or you get one that fights you...... strange though, as simple of a carb as they are.
I see you're in the Netherlands, which might complicate things..... After asking what shape the car and engine is in otherwise, (state of tune, compression, valve adjustment, distributor/advance mechanism, etc) and you can run either a Carter BBD or a Holley 2280 on the same intake.... there is a Rochester version I remember from the early 70s that would fit the intake, but not sure what it would take to adapt to Mopar linkage.
my next suggestion is, if you can find the manifold for it, put a Super 6 on it (2 barrel) and don't look back.....
and I must say though I have never messed with a BBS particularly, when comparing other 2 bbl and 4 bbl carbs, between Carter and Holley, I have always had better running and less headaches (notice I didn't say "no headaches") with Carter carbs than with Holleys.

That said, my Dad had (then it was my brother's) a 76 Feather Duster with a slant, I was just old enough to get my license for the 1st time/ its carb was giving my brother fits, I got it going for him better it was, even before it went bad...... I built a great Holley 1945 from 2 or 3 donors..... got "lucky" I think/ more than anything, back then) but being over 30 years ago, I can't remember the issues we had were, or why I went looking for a parts carb..... I do remember I had it off and apart "a few" times before I had it right.