Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:42 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
StrokerScamp wrote:
Here you go. These will work just fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91774/make/dodge

Are you sure? :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Joshie225 wrote:
StrokerScamp wrote:
Here you go. These will work just fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91774/make/dodge

Are you sure? :?

You see where it says "Dodge and AMC"? AMC engines only oiled through the pushrods to the heads, just like a Chevrolet. If you want to be 100 SURE, call Howards and inquire about that part number. I am certain enough that I would buy them. But since I am recommending them to you, please call. This has pretty much become the standard across the board for Chrysler hydraulic lifters since the AMC also uses the same .903 lifter diameter. This cuts production costs since manufacturers can make one lifter to suit both makes.

It is enough that Jesus died and that he died for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:03 am 
Supercharged

That's only true for an engine that has an oil gallery feeding the lifters. We do not have that. Our hydraulic lifter engines are fed oil from the pushrod not to the pushrod.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:29 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
AMC's oiled the lifters from the top down through the pushrods like a hydraulic Slant. If you read the Q&A it appears they think the AMC has lifter oiling in the block. I would definitely call and ask questions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:35 pm 
Supercharged

slantzilla wrote:
AMC's oiled the lifters from the top down through the pushrods like a hydraulic Slant. If you read the Q&A it appears they think the AMC has lifter oiling in the block. I would definitely call and ask questions.

I'm looking at AMC blocks and they have lifter oil galleys so I don't know why the oiling would be top-down like the hydraulic lifter 225.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Hmmmmm, I've been told that hydraulic Slant lifters were AMC. Apparently I've been misinformed. In that case the OP is screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:44 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
According to the "Buyers guide" the Sealed Power lifter for the 86 D-150 slant six is HT2089. That number does not cross over to any AMC engine. Only application listed is for the hydraulic slant six

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I've seen listings before that show that same lifter fitting 318s and 360s too, talk of having to use those lifters when putting magnum heads on an LA block, that oil the rocker arms thru the pushrods since original small block mopar lifters didn't have a hole in the pushrod seat.
Have also heard that some companies consolidated those numbers in their catalog anyways because they were otherwise the same dimensions between them except for that hole in the pushrod seat.
And taking that a bit further, having just gotten my reground cam back, I also got my new lifters from the same place and the call out on the receipt says they sold me "273 solid lifters" even though I'm really working on a slant. So it seems to "come around".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 am 
Supercharged

The Chrysler and AMC lifter bodies are the same dimension. It is the way the hydraulic lifters receive oil that is the sticking point. No production slant six block has a lifter oil galley to fill the hydraulic lifter with oil.

Let's not confuse the original poster by bringing solid lifters into this discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:29 am 
Turbo Slant 6

If the cylinder head is getting oil (rocker shafts) wouldn't it work the same if you used the proper rockers? In other words, if a stock hydraulic lifter can get oil from the pushrod, couldn't a hydraulic roller lifter also get oil that way?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 am 
Supercharged

As was pointed out, the hydraulic lifter 225 uses a unique lifter. Only if the guts from that special hydraulic lifter will fit a roller lifter body can it be fed from the top down.

I am dismayed by the demonstrated lack of understanding around the principles of operation of the hydraulic lifter and the simple fact that the slant six block cannot use conventional side-fed hydraulic lifters due to the lack of an oil gallery to feed them.

Last edited by Joshie225 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:11 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Joshie225 wrote:
That's only true for an engine that has an oil gallery feeding the lifters. We do not have that. Our hydraulic lifter engines are fed oil from the pushrod not to the pushrod.

Ok. I'm very familiar with how the hydraulic slant lifter works. More so than you, evidently. Good luck with it then!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:49 am 
Supercharged

StrokerScamp wrote:
Joshie225 wrote:

Ok. I'm very familiar with how the hydraulic slant lifter works. More so than you, evidently. Good luck with it then!

Then please describe the operation of the slant six hydraulic lifter. Describe the differences between the solid lifter slant six valve train, the hydraulic lifter slant six valve train and contrast that with the hydraulic lifter valve train of the V-8. If you cannot I am happy to do so and put this issue to rest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Joshie225 wrote:
StrokerScamp wrote:
Joshie225 wrote:

Then please describe the operation of the slant six hydraulic lifter. Describe the differences between the solid lifter slant six valve train, the hydraulic lifter slant six valve train and contrast that with the hydraulic lifter valve train of the V-8. If you cannot I am happy to do so and put this issue to rest.

No, it won't put anything to "rest". The slant six oils "backwards" so the lifter gets its oil from the top not the bottom.

The slant six lifters are the same as any other. If you think for one second the industry is going to change lifter design over ONE application, you're mistaken. I've had them apart. I've run solids, I've run hydraulics, I've run Rhoads and anti pump lifters. They all function in the slant six just fine.

It doesn't matter to "me" what you run, or what you "think" you know from reading forums with the wrong information. The slant six hydraulic LIFTER is nothing different than any other, although the oiling system is a little unique.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:35 pm 
Supercharged

So explain how conventional hydraulic lifters work in a 225. What's the problem with explaining and increasing everyone's understanding?