Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Engine wont start
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:52 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I've been away from this forum for a long while, please don't hold it against me :D

My 225 slant six has been running trouble free for several years, until this morning. I drove it yesterday a couple of times, about 40 miles and it ran perfectly.

This morning when I turned the key - I got nothing. No crank, no click, just silence. I keep the batter on a battery tender, and volt meter said 12.8 on the battery.

I wanted to get some feedback and advice. I'm thinking that 1) is most likely a connection problem so I'll check the connections at the battery, starter, and ground. 2) bad starter - what is the best method to test the starter?

The engine is mostly stock except it has a pertronix ignition. But I'm think the engine would at least crank if it was a distributor problem - right?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Engine wont start
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Wht year/model vehicle? Do you have lights? Could be a bad connection. If you have lights, it could be a bad starter relay, bad starter, neutral safety switch(automatic), ign switch. If no lights, bad connection, issue with the bulkhead connector, burned/bad connection at ammeter, or the meter itself.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yep, need to know year and model. My initial easy-to-fix guess (if ~72-down car) is the ammeter leads are loose. Need to disconnect batt before tightening.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Charrlie_S wrote:
Wht year/model vehicle? Do you have lights? Could be a bad connection. If you have lights, it could be a bad starter relay, bad starter, neutral safety switch(automatic), ign switch. If no lights, bad connection, issue with the bulkhead connector, burned/bad connection at ammeter, or the meter itself.

Thanks for the reply.
1972 Plymouth Scamp, automatic
Lights and radio work

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:30 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Yep, need to know year and model. My initial easy-to-fix guess (if ~72-down car) is the ammeter leads are loose. Need to disconnect batt before tightening.

Lou

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the wiring to the back of the ammeter dashboard gauge?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 am 

Car Model:
Yep, that wiring.

OK, but if lights and radio work, then it won't be the ammeter and might be the fusible link (if my memory serves). Could also very likely be a bad starter or starter relay (or other things).

Try taking a screwdriver and bridging the two terminals on the starter, if it cranks, then you need to check the starter relay on the firewall next, or the shifter and neutral safety (below).

OHHH, also make sure the neutral safety switch is working. Try moving the gear selector a little bit on either side of P or N while turning the key to crank it. If cranks, then you need to adjust shift linkage and/or check neutral safety switch or wiring.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dart270 wrote:
Yep, that wiring.

OK, but if lights and radio work, then it won't be the ammeter and might be the fusible link (if my memory serves). Could also very likely be a bad starter or starter relay (or other things).

Try taking a screwdriver and bridging the two terminals on the starter, if it cranks, then you need to check the starter relay on the firewall next, or the shifter and neutral safety (below).

OHHH, also make sure the neutral safety switch is working. Try moving the gear selector a little bit on either side of P or N while turning the key to crank it. If cranks, then you need to adjust shift linkage and/or check neutral safety switch or wiring.

Lou

Thanks for all the ideas. I will report back after I look at things after work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I got home and it started right up!? It started in P and N and not in other gears. I restarted it several times and then drove it. It performed perfectly.

I hate that I will doubt it’s reliability for a bit. Can I effectively rule any components based on this information? Are some of the parts mentioned more prone to intermittent malfunction than others?

I think it is possible it wasn’t “all the way” in park. But I can’t think of what else changed between 7am and 6pm....

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 am 

Car Model:
That is my guess - not completely in Park.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:04 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
It's possible you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere. I'd consider the firewall connector your most likely suspect at this age, but it could be the connections on the ignition switch, ammeter, starter relay, starter solenoid, neutral safety switch... I'm probably forgetting something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:29 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
SpaceFrank wrote:
It's possible you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere. I'd consider the firewall connector your most likely suspect at this age, but it could be the connections on the ignition switch, ammeter, starter relay, starter solenoid, neutral safety switch... I'm probably forgetting something.

I will definitely being some investigation of all these connections. Thanks.