Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:21 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 71 Dodge D100 64 Plymouth Valiant Wagon
So I am changing over to electric fan and am curious about placement of the temp sensor for automatic turn-on. I already have an electric temperature gauge sensor in the block--how do I avoid losing the temp. gauge?

Thanks,
Joe

71 D100 225 Super Six 727 AT on 2008 Crown Vic CopCar frame

64 Valiant Wagon 225 904 AT 3:23 8.75"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
See if the top tank of the radiator has a threaded bung. That's where I put my fan sensor on the 79 volare.
And you will still have the port gor the sending uniy for your o.e. temp gauge.

If that does not work, then a plumbing t might work in yhe head or you can mount the fan sensor where the coolant drain is in the block... all of these could work, ut I am not sure which is best.

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I had the probe for a mechanical water temperature gauge screwed into the block drain, back by #5 cylinder on the oil pump side of the block on the motor in the 68 Barracuda. That water temperature lagged way behind the water temperature that was also being monitored from a threaded port in the cylinder head behind the thermostat.
If there is not a threaded port available on the head up by the thermostat, I would be using a contact probe close to the the radiator exit or on the lower radiator hose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:42 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I know some people have drilled and tapped their thermostat housing for an additional NPT port, but keep in mind that this method will put it on the radiator side of the thermostat. Not a problem as long as your thermostat opens at a lower temp than where you want your fan to activate.

Using the block drain is an interesting idea. It sees a lower temperature than the thermostat and the stock temp sender since the water here is "upstream" of the cylinder head, so you'd probably want to do some testing and set the fan to come on at a lower temperature than if you were measuring the water temp coming out of the head. You'd also want to clean out any rust and gunk that might be blocking the port. But it would give you a cleaner and more stock-looking installation if it works.

Another option it to cut your upper radiator hose and add an adapter like this. We have one on the racecar where the temp switch is built into the adapter, but I can't find the link for that exact unit right now. I guess you could also put it on the lower hose, but then you'd need it to activate at a way lower temperature since this is the coolest part of the system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:32 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
Not upper but lower hose. From return line of radiator you get the information how much the radiator get cooled down. The best result will be get if the fan control is possible made stepless with pwm.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 71 Dodge D100 64 Plymouth Valiant Wagon
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will let you know what works out.

Joe

71 D100 225 Super Six 727 AT on 2008 Crown Vic CopCar frame

64 Valiant Wagon 225 904 AT 3:23 8.75"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Is the temp sensor also the switch?

Or is a sensor connected to a box that has a rotary dial on it so you can adjust the on temp to whatever you want?

The adjustable sensors can be placed just about anywhere because you can compensate with the adjustability....

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:53 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Not sure if the original poster has an adjustable setup or not.

But you are correct adjust it to your liking if you place the sensor in a "cold port" just adjust the fan on set point lower.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
At one time I saw a photo where a spacer was added between the thermostat housing and the cylinder head that had a threaded port to for a temperature sensor. I am thinking that a 2x3x 1 inch thick flat slab of aluminum, would be a good start to making a sensor spacer. Drill a large hole to clear the thermostat end, a couple of smaller ones that align with the existing bolt holes. Put the sensor port in. Finish the exterior shape to fit, add a gasket on each side and you are done. And the coolant sensor is where it belongs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:09 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Something like this but it will not fit a slant 6..

http://arengineering.com/products/therm ... nsor-port/

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1966 2D Dart
I used for many years a temperature switch located in to the lower hose. Both the engine thermostat and the switch were same rating; 88 degrees in centigrades. That combo was working very well. When the car was on the highway the temperature was constant and controlled by the thermostat. At the stop and go traffic the control was done by the cooling fan and switch. There was some movement the temperature gauge but it was well controlled.

After I had ECU for fuel injection I took one pwm output for fan control. In the ecu I have simple table for pwm % depending of the measured coolant temperature. The gauge is all the time presenting the same reading.

For the ecu I have installed the coolant temperature sensor in the middle of the cabin heater hose by home made adapter. From there I can get the coolant temperature without conducting heat of the engine cast.

And I have a hi-perf option control for the fan. When the throttle is pushed more than 90% of its range the fan is always off. At that stage fan is not loading the alternator. I did my latest record after that mod.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:43 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Greg, yes that is the one I was remembering.
I also thought about the comment on putting a temperature sensor in the existing slant thermostat housing. And yes the sensor would be on the back side of the thermostat. But if the sensor was controlling the off - on of a radiator cooling fan, that actually would be a good location. The sensor would not see heated coolant unless the thermostat was open. Which matches up to the radiator fan not running unless the thermostat was open. The fan on temp would be set higher than the thermostat open temperature so the fan action would augment the passive cooling action of the radiator.