Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:27 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:
bilingual (English/Afrikaans) controls and displays, sold by Chrysler South Africa.

That would be interesting to see. I know its nothing special to people who live on the veld, but I've never seen one.

Here's me in 1995 at the wheel of Bob Hodgson's, which he brought with him when he moved from RSA to the UK. The paint was fine; that's frost.

Attachments:
73Charger190sa.jpg
73Charger190sa.jpg [ 219.47 KiB | Viewed 2955 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:28 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
'71Charger wrote:
I did all these mods myself using Youtube and Uncle Tony's garage

Very easy to get led astray by "Uncle Tony". Unless you already know enough not to need to attend YouTube University, it's impossible to pick out the chips and shreds of valid info from the river of sewage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:32 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: Valiant Charger 225
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond , I'm going to do the comp test and also research into recurve .
This weekend I plan on readjusting my front and rear bands and maybe having a look at my timing chain.
Once I know all that is ok and/or replaced I'll have a dyno run done to see where I am and report back here .
Thanks again .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
'71Charger wrote:
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond , I'm going to do the comp test and also research into recurve .
This weekend I plan on readjusting my front and rear bands and maybe having a look at my timing chain.
Once I know all that is ok and/or replaced I'll have a dyno run done to see where I am and report back here .
Thanks again .

Your making good progress. Keep exploring and asking and you will arrive at your goal.

A quick and dirty way of observing timing chain health is to bring the #1 cylinder to TDC, Pop off the distributor cap, and slowly turn the engine backwards, observing how may degrees pass before the distributor begins to turn backwards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:17 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Yes, keep on it and keep asking questions!

Lou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:05 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
SlantSixDan wrote:
'71Charger wrote:
I did all these mods myself using Youtube and Uncle Tony's garage

Very easy to get led astray by "Uncle Tony". Unless you already know enough not to need to attend YouTube University, it's impossible to pick out the chips and shreds of valid info from the river of sewage.
If UTG has more content that is not Mopar or Buick, I think he is on pace for 400,000 Youtube subscribers in a year. UTG is probably earning about $60K a year now by just rambling on camera. He is at retirement age, he will do okay with this gig. Its entertainment, don't take UTG too seriously. Its just not so easy to have a popular car YT hobby channel - some just got what it takes, the majority don't. 90 percent of this hobby is just talk - not many doers. UTG can talk and swap a 170 into a Miata - the rest of us non doers like to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:37 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If the race in Sikeston comes off Labor Day weekend I will get to meet UT in person. I can hardly sleep already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
SlantSixDan wrote:
Reed wrote:
SlantSixDan wrote:
bilingual (English/Afrikaans) controls and displays, sold by Chrysler South Africa.

That would be interesting to see. I know its nothing special to people who live on the veld, but I've never seen one.

Here's me in 1995 at the wheel of Bob Hodgson's, which he brought with him when he moved from RSA to the UK. The paint was fine; that's frost.

Cool! I love all the foreign models.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:55 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant
slantzilla wrote:
If the race in Sikeston comes off Labor Day weekend I will get to meet UT in person. I can hardly sleep already.
Youtube has the one-hit-wonders that get a lucky millions of views, then there is the well produced content, usually done by a team that takes months to get millions of views. Then, there are the frequent content producers like Scotty Kilmer - producing as many as three unedited videos a day, that jump from poorly researched topic to topic like Benny Hill sketches. UTG is more like that, produces content frequently, kind of like a reality tv show - but after 4 years he seems to be at the break out point. Remember, Scotty has 53 years of experience as a mechanic but with 4.4 million subscribers he laughs at those who don't like him because it only gives him a bigger audience. This is Tony Defeo https://www.dragzine.com/author/tonydefeo/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:45 am 
1 BBL (New)

Ok so I adjusted the front band but i think it's too tight as I drive the car feels like its braking until I pull it out of drive then it frees up .
The reason why I needed to adjust it was because suddenly my car started clunking into drive and reverse so much so that some times the engine would cut out .
Any comments welcome .

Also I set the timing again , re-gapped the plugs, set the idles set screws to max vacuum but it's still idling rough sometimes cutting out .
Any advise welcome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
'71Charger wrote:
Screenshot_20210729-085640_Video Editor.jpg

This is my car @slantsixdan is 100% correct "He has a 1971 Chrysler Valiant Charger Sports Coupé, which is a '71 Demon with right-hand drive"

very cool.

I had not ever seen or heard of one of those.

Great car, and good luck with the tuning of the engine.

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:59 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: Slant Six M37
'71Charger wrote:
Ok so I adjusted the front band but i think it's too tight as I drive the car feels like its braking until I pull it out of drive then it frees up .
The reason why I needed to adjust it was because suddenly my car started clunking into drive and reverse so much so that some times the engine would cut out .
Any comments welcome .

Also I set the timing again , re-gapped the plugs, set the idles set screws to max vacuum but it's still idling rough sometimes cutting out .
Any advise welcome

Tell us more about the engine running rough and or cutting out.

Your front band adjustment? are you saying that with the new adjustment, the car is dragging, or is it that the transmission is dragging down on the engine idle? I am guessing the transmission is pulling the engine idle down, which leads me to guess that it is not a transmission issue but an engine idle issue..

The tranny banging into gear could be the rear band is adjusted too tight? Or an increase in idle speed would give both symptoms, a bang into gear, and the feeling that the tranny is fighting the engine at idle?

What idle vacuum did you achieve when setting idle screws? Better than 17" I hope?

A compression test numbers would be helpful as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Jase wrote:
'71Charger wrote:
Any comments welcome .

Any advise welcome

Tell us more about the engine running rough and or cutting out.

Your front band adjustment? are you saying that with the new adjustment, the car is dragging, or is it that the transmission is dragging down on the engine idle? I am guessing the transmission is pulling the engine idle down, which leads me to guess that it is not a transmission issue but an engine idle issue..
Both actually , when I drive it bogs down and when I put it into gear it drops idle down to almost cut out and sometimes does. It feels like if it was a manual transmission that the clutch isnt fully engaged.

The tranny banging into gear could be the rear band is adjusted too tight? Or an increase in idle speed would give both symptoms, a bang into gear, and the feeling that the tranny is fighting the engine at idle?
I only adjusted the front band but it bangs in drive and reverse

What idle vacuum did you achieve when setting idle screws? Better than 17" I hope?
It was we into the green band on the gauge about 20"-Hg

A compression test numbers would be helpful as well.

I need to do that

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:02 am 
1 BBL (New)

So in closing this is what the issues were :

I contacted a local legend when it comes to Slant 6 motors and he spent some time on the car today .

My intake valves were too tight and my exhaust valves were way too tight before he adjusted them he sent me a vid with his hand being sucked against the exhaust at idle . He proceeded to adjust those a tiny bit looser than spec.

My ballast resistor was shot explaining why it would cut out intermittently so he bridged it out because
I have an electronic ignition now .

The gear bands were too tight so he adjusted those .

Re adjusted the idle screws to get max vacuum I was getting 20" he said hes getting out of the green , the idling and the kickdown .

My street where I live has a rough surface and he broke traction on that where before I couldn't even get a chirp on a cement parking lot.

Finally he sent another exhaust vid with the car idling smooth and consistent not like before what seemed like a miss and a pop pop .
I'LL BE HOME LATER TO TAKE HER FOR A SPIN :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:40 am 

Car Model:
Huge congrats! Enjoy the drive.

Lou