Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:50 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 71 Dodge D100 64 Plymouth Valiant Wagon
PROBLEM: Like a huge vacuum leak or something. Can't get car to idle, will kind of run if I keep pumping gas.
Late 60s sparkplug-tube vintage engine. NOT original, and I have never removed the head. Have done valve lash while it was running w/ 4bbl carb and headers.
Currently has Dutra Duals under a stock Super Six intake. Carburetors have worked fine on the 225 in my truck, which is slightly older vintage, rebuilt.
Does NOT have exhaust after manifolds.

ONE CONSISTENT SYMPTOM: Fouling plugs, regardless of idle adjustment and rebuilds w/ carbs. Today's NGKs were wet, not greasy or the extreme dry carbon fouling.

BACKSTORY: I have been working on getting this car running right for months. It came from a towtruck yard in Sonoma, TX, and I have never heard it run.
--Last Sunday, car seemed to idle fine. Running nicely and I figure I will let it idle for a while as I put tools away. Runs out of gas (tank is new). Can't really get it going again. Okay, I will go get some gas for it, and drive it in to get exhaust on Monday.

Monday w/ a quarter tank of new gas--no spark. Using HEI type ignition, and can't get spark w/new controller, either. Pull FABO 4secondsflat unit from my slant six powered truck. Gets spark. NGK ZFRN plugs are fouled. I want to go to the exhaust place on Tuesday, and local store doesn't have replacements, so I buy some Champions (only choice). Engine doesn't run w/ Champions. Some are fouled, and some exhibit normal wear.
NOW I am not getting gas to carb. Mess around w/ fuel pump and stick intake hose into gas can. Doesn't work. Use electric fuel pump. Getting fuel to carburetor now. Change fuel lines because maybes. Still won't run.

Tuesday pick up NGKs and replace Champions. No real difference. Swap out new Chinese BBD for NOS and re-gasketed BBD for 318. Nothing changes.
I have spark and fuel and the same symptoms from two different carburetors. It must be a vacuum leak!

Wednesday can't really find any vacuum leaks. Maybe it is the manifold-head connection. Using Remflex graphite gasket. Add a thin stock gasket to the Remflex for a tighter seal. The very last stud, underneath and to the rear, strips out. I try to get it running anyways. No luck. Will get stud in the morning.

Thursday get manifolds secure all around w/ new stud. Very little change. Go back and forth between carburetors. No change. Check distributor timing. Just fine and hasn't changed.

No idea where to go next. Y'all's expertise appreciated.

Joe

71 D100 225 Super Six 727 AT on 2008 Crown Vic CopCar frame

64 Valiant Wagon 225 904 AT 3:23 8.75"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:44 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Does your Super Six intake have an EGR Valve, or at least a mount for one? If it has the mount for the EGR and you don't have the factory exhaust mainfold bolted up, the chances are very high that you will have an intake leak, especially if you don't have an EGR valve present.
Pictures would help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:52 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Doesn't have one. I will check. Dumb question, but where would I look? I thought EGR valves were on the exhaust manifolds.

THANKS!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
On the slant, the EGR valve is just below the carb mount on the driver side of the intake. If nothing is there, you will need a block off plate to prevent a vacuum leak.
Here with the EGR valve bolted on.
Attachment:
SS-EGR2.jpg
SS-EGR2.jpg [ 71.83 KiB | Viewed 1646 times ]

Here with it removed.
Attachment:
SS-EGR.jpg
SS-EGR.jpg [ 72.06 KiB | Viewed 1646 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:33 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks, Matt. Will check it out tomorrow morning. I have used that intake for a long time, but maybe things have just deteriorated.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:20 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Filled those holes w/ the orange RTV and blocked off with a flat piece of metal in addition to the piece that was already there.

Then I bought one of those EGR block-offs that they sell on Ebay and used the gasket that came with the intake/exhaust manifold and bolted that up. Not sure what I am blocking with that one, though.

Now it's cold and I can't get it running, still.

Got spark
Got gas
Maybe still too much air???

Thanks for listening,
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I will bet the timing chain has jumped a couple of teeth.