Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:25 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Image Roll over valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:30 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Sending unit 5/16 the big one fuel supply, 1/4 small fuel return line , Both are steel Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:21 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1983 D150 Slantsix 4 speed
Rick Covalt wrote:
Yes you are right. Someone converted to regular electronic ignition. Sorry I didn't see it myself! :D

And I didn't know that. My dash does work at all. Could the electronic ignition cause that? Did they probably instal something in wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:25 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
To answer an earlier question that is a factory ignition box or maybe an aftermarket replacement for one. If it is good (and being as how you can start the engine it is probably good. But I didn't see a vacuum advance pod on the distributor whoever converted it only did 1/2 the job. Where is your timing set? With the lean burn distributor it can't change timing. Maybe there too much or too little for starting? The original ignition (on that truck) would have been either hanging off the air cleaner housing or in the fender behind the battery. Someone has halfway converted it to the much better earlier ignition. I wouldn't go back.
But you need to go the rest of the way. I'd get that done and then look into the insulator that was mentioned.
On
The fuel pump question look good at the block where it mounts. The shape of the flange in the block and the pump is not symmetrical. Look and see if the block and fuel pump flange meet up, should be able to answer that question for yourself.

And what would I need to do to finish the job of the new electronic ignition what would I need? I'm all new to this. Also the timing I'm not sure anyway I could check that? Yes it's in the correct way the fuel pump.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:26 am 
3 Deuce Weber

matv91 wrote:
Using factoty parts book for illustration purposes. Your full pump looks fine to me. There are three metal lines going to fuel tank. Fuel supply line 5/16 the big one, fuel return line 3/16 small with 1/4 hose fitting at ends and vapor canister to tank roll over vent valve. Roll overr valve is plastic one hose connection 1/4 it will break no replacement available.

They don't sell sending units? For this make and model?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:28 am 
3 Deuce Weber

matv91 wrote:
Sending unit 5/16 the big one fuel supply, 1/4 small fuel return line , Both are steel Image

A yes I see. I will instal the aluminum filter. And change out all the lines.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:35 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Slantsix83 wrote:
matv91 wrote:
Do you have radiator fan shroud?. If not engine to hot at idle

No I do not

Also how can I tell what 1bbl carb I have? Not to sure since I bought a rebuilt one from orylies. Also will plywood not burn? Or have any issues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Slantsix83 wrote:
matv91 wrote:
Using factoty parts book for illustration purposes. Your full pump looks fine to me. There are three metal lines going to fuel tank. Fuel supply line 5/16 the big one, fuel return line 3/16 small with 1/4 hose fitting at ends and vapor canister to tank roll over vent valve. Roll overr valve is plastic one hose connection 1/4 it will break no replacement available.

They used to. The truck is old enough that they are discontinued. You may find one on eBay or a good used one from a boneyard. There used to be a couple of places that rebuilt them if you sent yours in. There is a company that reproduces them but many haven't had good luck with them. My son for instance has bought 2 of the recent aftermarket ones. One for an 80 D150 and one for an 89 ramcharger. On both of those the gauge does go to full when the tank is, like it is supposed to. But when they show flat empty both still have 1/2 tank, as proven by how much can be put in when filled up. I don't mind a gauge that shows a little lower than actual amount left, but a 1/2 a tank lead time is a bit excessive.
I'd rather find a Good used original or send one in to be rebuilt/reconditioned before buying a new aftermarket.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
Slantsix83 wrote:
Any sites for links for those carb spacers I couldn't seem to find any.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334347146249

Jus sayin....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:10 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
Not to sure since I bought a rebuilt one from orylies.

I'm not sure, but if you got a rebuilt one for your truck, which had the lean burn one system on it originally, then it may not operate properly when the lean burn system has been removed.

If you do not have vacuum advance on the distributor the truck is going to perform poorly even after you get it running.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:30 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Rick Covalt wrote:
Quote:
Not to sure since I bought a rebuilt one from orylies.

I'm not sure, but if you got a rebuilt one for your truck, which had the lean burn one system on it originally, then it may not operate properly when the lean burn system has been removed.

If you do not have vacuum advance on the distributor the truck is going to perform poorly even after you get it running.

Honestly when I got it running it was running like a dream with no issues. Until this started to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:32 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Badvert65 wrote:
Slantsix83 wrote:
Any sites for links for those carb spacers I couldn't seem to find any.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334347146249

Jus sayin....

Aa thank you! Never know how to search for these parts online. Also would one be enough or should I buy two and put both on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:33 am 
3 Deuce Weber

volaredon wrote:
Slantsix83 wrote:
matv91 wrote:

They used to. The truck is old enough that they are discontinued. You may find one on eBay or a good used one from a boneyard. There used to be a couple of places that rebuilt them if you sent yours in. There is a company that reproduces them but many haven't had good luck with them. My son for instance has bought 2 of the recent aftermarket ones. One for an 80 D150 and one for an 89 ramcharger. On both of those the gauge does go to full when the tank is, like it is supposed to. But when they show flat empty both still have 1/2 tank, as proven by how much can be put in when filled up. I don't mind a gauge that shows a little lower than actual amount left, but a 1/2 a tank lead time is a bit excessive.
I'd rather find a Good used original or send one in to be rebuilt/reconditioned before buying a new aftermarket.

I'll see if I can have someone rebuild them. But I was saying that my whole dash doesn't work not only the gas guage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:55 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
I see no reason to need two of the spacers.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: 1984 D100 Shorty Custom
Slantsix83 I have an 84 D100 that has very similar issues to your truck.

After sitting hot for awhile it takes a bit of cranking to get started (cool morning or hot afternoon). Someone had previously swapped the engine and around the same time HACKED the lean-burn system out of it. They installed a points distributor and called it a day. I wound up finding a decent Carter BBS on my spares shelf, slapped it on and installed the HEI conversion (stock 73-80 distributor, GM HEI module, and 80s Ford E-Coil). The fuel line mod Dan referred to has been done as well, but I still suffer from the long crank issue.

My understanding is that the 3rd line on the filter is allowing the pressurized fuel to bleed off back into the tank, effectively draining the fuel from the line and thus takes longer to get fuel back up to the carb. My attempt to remedy this issue will be installing a standard 2 line metal filter (omitting the fuel return line), and capping the fuel return line under the hood.

None of my gauges work either, except the fuel gauge when the tank is full, but it then drops to empty. I'm still working out why the gauges don't work, and I suspect its due to the HACKING of the under hood wiring... well and the rest of the truck too lol. By the time I'm done I'll have probably made my own harness!

Best of luck!

~THOR~

Part of Tyrde-Browne Racing

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next