Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Mega Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I am wondering how hard it is to program using MS. My computer skills are very limited from 0 to none. I would rather talk than type, but been over 70 I would think most of feel the same way.
Here the plan, I would like to have tune port injectors, M90 Eaton, throttle body, and if I can use my distributor ?
please let me know what your thoughts are...Thanks Mike

Post subject: Re: Mega Squirt
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:28 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You don't "program" the MegaSquirt. The is a program call TunerStudio that has a graphical interface that allows you to set parameters and save them back to the MegaSquirt. You do need to have a basic understanding on how to tune an engine. That understanding is then used to set the parameters.

Your build looks fine. Most would say to ditch the distributor and let the MegaSquirt control the timing. There are several ways to do that. The online Mega Manual describes them all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:48 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Take a look in the fuel injection n of this forum..

I always tell people that the best part of a mega squirt is that you can tune anything with the interface provided. The worst part is that you can tune anything…. It can be easy to overlook a setting or put a decimal in the wrong spot.

Strong basic computer skills are recommended and a fortitude to think out the problem before you give up.

Or.. pay $omeone el$e to do the work for you.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:24 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I have a MS3 Pro on the naturally aspirated slant in the 68 Barracuada.
It was installed by me in 2016. The unit has been reliable and an interesting part of the project.
For the ignition side it is running a lean burn distributor and an MSD box with the MS3 Pro controlling the ignition advance. Both the ignition advance and the fuel mixture are controlled through tables. It is extremely easy to modify the tune with key strokes on a lap top as opposed to changing springs in a distributor or jets in a carburetor.
I agree with the comments above. The flexibility of the MS is great, but you also need to be prepared to fill in several fields. The MS3 Pro has table generators that will get you close on the fuel and ignition tables. There is also a Help section built in to each field that needs data input.
If you get stuck along the way and need help a couple of sources in addition to this forum are:
1) MS has an active online forum at http://www.MSextra.com that forum is supported by the MS community and experts in the MS systems.
2) Look on YouTube. There are videos produced by firms that sell MS systems and enthusiasts. Most are helpful, but sometimes you need to look through several to find info on the exact situation you are addressing.
Lastly the install itself, running the wire harness is not for the feint hearted. The wiring diagrams in the MS manual are easy to follow. But you are building the network that connects the sensors and it needs to be right. The integrity of the electrical connections and the routing of the wires to limit electro-magnetic interference is crucial.
Finally, if someone was to ask me if I was to build the car again, would I go with MPFI and MS again?
My answer would be absolutely.