Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:31 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: ‘66 Dart GT Hardto-, ‘63 Dart 170 wagon
My slant is experiencing a long delay of five to ten seconds and noise that sounds like bearings knocking until the light goes out. I currently have the Wix 51515 oil filter on the engine and it kinda seems like the long light and knocking got longer after installing this filter. When I acquired this car I got the oil changed at a local oil change shop and several times since and one time I noticed that the oil filter they installed was quite small right before I had them install my own 51515 filter. I got to thinking about it and wonder if the tall tube (mind blank for the correct name) that the filter fits over might be missing and might be involved in the issue.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:57 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Jerry,

On an old and worn engine, this can happen, but the bearing knocking is a bit scary. If it seemed to come on when that filter was installed, I recommend replacing just the filter right away and see if it gets better. You can do this yourself with a simple oil filter wrench.

I really like this type of filter wrench (paired with a 3/8" socket drive and 6" long socket extension.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769 ... src=aw.ds&

The oil "standpipe" is what you are talking about that might be missing. That can delay oil pressure rise, but I have run many engines without it and 10 sec is way too long even w/o it.

Best of luck and let us know progress.

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:06 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Dart270 wrote:
Jerry,

On an old and worn engine, this can happen, but the bearing knocking is a bit scary. If it seemed to come on when that filter was installed, I recommend replacing just the filter right away and see if it gets better. You can do this yourself with a simple oil filter wrench.

I really like this type of filter wrench (paired with a 3/8" socket drive and 6" long socket extension.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769 ... src=aw.ds&

Quote:
The oil "standpipe" is what you are talking about that might be missing. That can delay oil pressure rise, but I have run many engines without it and 10 sec is way too long even w/o it.

Best of luck and let us know progress.

Lou
Thanks for the response. I was brian dead last evening and could not bring up "standpipe" to save my ass. Anyhow, I got the loudest bearing knock when cold starting with fast idle in play, 1500 or so RPM. I have now adjusted the fast idle screw down to no contact on fast idle cam with choke cold and set--curb idle. Upon curb idle cold start the knocking is much reduced volume but still there. Light increase in engine speed still has a long light-on time. According to the previous owner, he had overhauled the engine about 50,000 miles before my purchase. I've put on another 10000 +/-. He seemed to know engines fairly well but who knows.

I'll install a different oil filter and see what happens. Just cuz, I'd like to find a standpipe and install it. Looking at the cutaway pics in the service manual, I don't see how the standpipe would help obtain earlier oil pressure. However, the manual pics are not well printed, at least in my repro manual. If things don't change, I'll be looking for a ticking noise sounding like low in engine. I replaced the fuel pump with the recommended new old replacement, AC 6972 or some such number in case the parts store one was noisy. Dan Stern's suggestion. I had the rocker arm tips ground and I adjusted the valves hot and running. Only way to adjust mechanical lifters in my opinion. The valve train is smooth and sounds perfect. When the ticking didn't cease, I went through again and found no issue. I've had 3 or 4 slants and one '66 Dart 273 4 barrel that was still under factory warranty and another '66 Dart 273 2 barrel. Adjusted those a couple times.

I'm getting too damned old for heavy work. Stand up work isn't bad though.

Again, I thank you for good and sound suggestions.

Jerry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:56 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Try a № 51806 filter instead. Has a standpipe built in. It will also be a good idea to service the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it's doing its job, as described in these two threads: thread 1, thread 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:48 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

SlantSixDan wrote:
Try a № 51806 filter instead.
Quote:
Has a standpipe built in. It will also be a good idea to service the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it's doing its job, as described in these two threads: thread 1, thread 2.

Thanks Dan. Good helpful treads. Gonna get that 51806 filter and service the pressure relief valve.