Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Excessiv oil consumption
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
My Dart has always used a quart of oil every 1000 miles of less since I purchased it in 2008. 3000 miles ago I had the engine rebuilt, and now uses a quart of oil every 700miles. Perhaps more if I make a 3000rpm (60mph) run down the interstate for 200 miles. I have never seen any oil smoke, except occasionally when it floods when cold starting at which time there good cloud is emitted, than clears up. I had wondered why a freshly rebuilt engine would be using so much oil. Yesterday I may have found the answer.

This weekend I started to install a FITech fuel injection kit in the 67 Dart. All has been progressing until I removed the tired old Holley 8007 and the spare bore adapter at which time I discovered fresh oil pooling in one of the Allen head attachment bolts closest to the PCV tap, and to some extent on the bottom of the intake manifold. I had never seen this oil pooling before.

In preparing to install the FI system and dropping the fuel tank I had driven the car to empty fuel tank as dry as I dared, and then let it idle for quite a while to drop the fuel level more. This long idle period (1/2 hour) was not moving as much air and perhaps allowed oil being picked up via the PCV valve to drop out of suspension that one could detect it in the manifold.

I have the chrome valve cover with internal baffling. What is the solution to this problem? Will a stock valve cover help, or a different PCV valve? Current PCV is metal with an "E" stamped on bottom of the internal spring loaded shuttle. Looks a lot like this one. Might also be a Standard Motor Products V180. The guts move freely when shaken, and there is an oil residue in the hose between the valve and carburetor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:32 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
wjajr wrote:
I have the chrome valve cover with internal baffling.

Which chrome valve cover with internal baffling? The old DC/MP chrome cover was a stock cover, chrome plated, with passably adequate baffling. The Chinese aftermarket ones have no baffling; perhaps you added some? Either way, the solution is probably more and better baffling—read this link.

There's nothing the matter with the style of PCV valve you have; it'll work fine assuming it's of good quality (which rules out just about anything bought from Classic Industries).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:07 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
A quart every 700 miles may not be enough to generate plumes of smoke. It sounds like your baffling situation is legit.

You’re not going to want to hear this but…. If I were you I’d stop now with the efi and do a leak down test. You may have to increase your accepted number from 10 to 20% since it’s cold but you should have consistent and not something silly high like 50-60%. That is if things are already too far to start and warm it up.

I’ve gone years and years chasing down efi idle issues on a low mileage motor. I had little to no oil consumption. Clifford valve cover but used a pcv with Dan’s arrangement using that gm (or was it ford?) removable baffle unit. I would still get oil in the intake and the baffle would get soaked. Blaming it on lack of a proper baffle and a low mileage motor that just couldn’t be the problem and lived with it.

Fast forward… did a leak down in an effort to solve other things and found my numbers were inconsistent and in the wild category. You can still get the engine to run and drive with efi in this state but you’ll be hunting down idle issues like a dog chasing their tail.