Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Hello Sages,

I im in the Process of refinishing a Valve cover / Heater Hose Holder / PCV Valve, Deleting the road draft tube for one of my '62's

The Donor Engine for this Valvecover was a fairly Original 170 Had Had been in the Weather with a hood open for a while... so the Engine Was Full of water and Basically a Core 170.

That '62 170 Is donating its Valve cover and other Top of engine goodies to my other '62's 225. (the PO Put a Gaudy Chinese Chrome Valvecover on it with improper baffling etc... Its not my thing and it does not work well.)

Anyway, I want to know the Proper color of the Oil Filler Cap... I could not tell if the cap I had was White or yellow...

Upon beginning to hit it with the Abrasive Blaster it Was clear that it was previously a canary yellow.

So to my next question.. is the canary yellow for the filler cap the correct one for this car? - A '62 Valiant?

It's possible that the cap could have been pulled of a truck engine...! which were Yellow.

All of the car Filler Caps that I could have remember seeing were Black, but my previous experiences goes back to only '63's No 60-62 Slants in my earlier days.

Thank you!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
No, it's meant to be black. Here y'go. If you're refurbishing an old breather cap, uncrimp it and take it apart and replace the mesh inside with an appropriate grade of bronze wool (not steel, which will rust), pulled apart and "fluffed" to an appropriate density.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks for the tips Uncle Dan!

Makes me wonder where that yellow cap came from? Possibly an original that was lost or something maybe.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Could have come off a '63-'67 Dodge truck. Those had pale yellow engines including the valve cover. Every once in awhile—on cars and trucks alike—an engine would come through with the oil and PCV caps painted engine colour (red or yellow) rather than black. Guess it was probably a matter of time and place; some engine assembly plants did it one way and some did it another way.

Another prospect: it could be an aftermarket cap. At least one major supplier's metal oil caps were all yellow for some number of years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Got it all sorted out.

Thanks!

I used brass wool instead of bronze wool as that's what I had on hand. I suspect it will have the same anti corrosive properties as the bronze.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:25 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: Dodge Coronet 440
Really nice, Greg! I used Krylon black semi-gloss for my oil filler cap and it looks perfect to me. What paint did you use on the valve cover? I might be doing that soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:52 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
ric325v63 wrote:
Really nice, Greg! I used Krylon black semi-gloss for my oil filler cap and it looks perfect to me. What paint did you use on the valve cover? I might be doing that soon.

I used VHT SP121 prolly not correct, but good enough for this job.

Greg