Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:23 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
hyper_pak wrote:

Understood.
But what about a roller used with a peanut head.
How do remove those lifters?

Take the head off just like regular lifters.

With the tie bars on you're not pulling them with a drool tube head either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:40 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Dave M wrote:
The first of next week I'll call Kent at OC and get his input on using the mushroom type lifter on our slant six engines.

Please let us know what his thoughts are. I didn't want to bother him, until/if I got any further than just thinking about it.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:01 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I too would be interested in knowing? But does anyone know how much difference this made in other engines? It seems what we pick up is the additional ramp speed opening over our standard lifter. We already have access to more lift than we can use. Wondering if the additional work and $$$ is worth 20HP or 2? Thanks, just thinking out loud! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:12 am 

Just a guess, but with a small bore and crappy head I would guess not much.

Any additional speed on the car would be due to a lighter wallet.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:15 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
In theory, the faster lift rate possible will give you more "area under the curve" at a given lift and duration. This should equate to more power throughout the RPM range. Given the head limitations of the slant excessive lift would not be necessary (super high lift does not equate to a lot more flow/power). But with the faster lift rate heavier springs are required, and most likely pushrods, and rockers, also. The benefits of a mushroom cam would not be as much as using a roller cam, but should be more than a "regular" flat tappet. I suspect less expensive than custom billet blanks (that would not have a pump/distributer gear). This is all my thinking, "in theory". Will be up to someone to prove or disprove. I doubt I will ever get the chance.
PS: I found one of my mushroom tappets (don't know which one) but the "foot print" is 1.115 dia. body dia is .745

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:16 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
slantzilla wrote:
hyper_pak wrote:

Understood.
But what about a roller used with a peanut head.
How do remove those lifters?

Take the head off just like regular lifters.

With the tie bars on you're not pulling them with a drool tube head either.

I can pull lifters with a drool tube head.
Not pulling a head to change a flat tappet lifter.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:31 am 

You asked about a roller.

And for more useless trivia, the late peanut (hydraulic) head has just enough room to.pull a solid lifter out if you have a steady hand.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:16 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Charlie, you have to remember that when the mushroom tappet first became popular they did provide a significant increase over traditional flat tappet cam profiles of that time...the 1970's! However, technology and the use of computer controlled machine equipment became more affordable and began being used in many automotive aftermarket component companies, especially in the area of camshaft lobe development. In a relatively short time, 10 years or so, companies like Crane and Cam Dynamics and others were able to produce cam profiles that equaled and exceeded what the mushroom tappet were producing. There were tremendous benefits from trying to stay with a traditional flat tappet design compared to a mushroom tappet, that's why so much effort was put into doing it. The mushroom tappet fad fizzled out by the early 1980's.

I'm going to bet that no cam company has ever explored creating any mushroom tappet profiles for a Slant, or would if you asked them since there is no dedicated mushroom lifter for them, and likely no interest. Because of the limitations in the cylinder head capability, a custom flat tappet cam grind will provide the maximum benefits the engine is capable of producing, with the best grind available you could put in a mushroom tappet grind having no measurable gains above the traditional flat tappet.

Now from a truly nostalgic standpoint, a mushroom tappet would really be only that. A cam grinder is going to only provide a best guess as to what specs to put on your mushroom camshaft compared to decades of experience with a full library of lobe profiles for a traditional flat tappet. The cost of exhaustive test could reveal a good profile for you in a mushroom design, but why.....the aggravation of cam swapping with that type of design will make you grow weary of it probably after just the first one...

Last edited by CNC-Dude on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I got a bronze gear for the Magneto. I also have bronze for the oil pump, though I didn't end up using the stock location pump, rather a front cam drive Daley that runs the Fuel pump as well.

CJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:46 am 
Triple Duece Weber

ceej wrote:
I got a bronze gear for the Magneto. I also have bronze for the oil pump, though I didn't end up using the stock location pump, rather a front cam drive Daley that runs the Fuel pump as well.

CJ

Do you have a picture of your cam drive set up?
I would assume, all fabricated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
They aren't great, but these I had on my phone.

Attachment:
Cam drive.jpg
Cam drive.jpg [ 312.95 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

Attachment:
With Pumps Mounted.jpg
With Pumps Mounted.jpg [ 437.43 KiB | Viewed 89 times ]

CJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:07 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Not fitting in the Colt Stan!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
CNC-Dude wrote:
Charlie, you have to remember that when the mushroom tappet first became popular they did provide a significant increase over traditional flat tappet cam profiles of that time...the 1970's! However, technology and the use of computer controlled machine equipment became more affordable and began being used in many automotive aftermarket component companies, especially in the area of camshaft lobe development. In a relatively short time, 10 years or so, companies like Crane and Cam Dynamics and others were able to produce cam profiles that equaled and exceeded what the mushroom tappet were producing. There were tremendous benefits from trying to stay with a traditional flat tappet design compared to a mushroom tappet, that's why so much effort was put into doing it. The mushroom tappet fad fizzled out by the early 1980's.

I'm going to bet that no cam company has ever explored creating any mushroom tappet profiles for a Slant, or would if you asked them since there is no dedicated mushroom lifter for them, and likely no interest. Because of the limitations in the cylinder head capability, a custom flat tappet cam grind will provide the maximum benefits the engine is capable of producing, with the best grind available you could put in a mushroom tappet grind having no measurable gains above the traditional flat tappet.

Now from a truly nostalgic standpoint, a mushroom tappet would really be only that. A cam grinder is going to only provide a best guess as to what specs to put on your mushroom camshaft compared to decades of experience with a full library of lobe profiles for a traditional flat tappet. The cost of exhaustive test could reveal a good profile for you in a mushroom design, but why.....the aggravation of cam swapping with that type of design will make you grow weary of it probably after just the first one...

I was just "spitballing" about the posibility of using a mushroom tappet setup. So many are considering the posibility of using a Roller setup, which has many problems and expenses in a slant six. Granted a roller would probably offer more benefits, but at a major cost. I was thinking a little less performance, at a much lower cost. Neither setup makes much sense in the kind of engines I run.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:49 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
I think if you have some components gathered up and want to give it a try...why not! I can make a spot face tool and test it out on some blocks I have. It wouldn't be a complicated process at all, just talk to a cam grinder and see what they can do....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:23 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Rick Covalt wrote:
Not fitting in the Colt Stan!

You got that right!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next