Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Solid Roller Camshaft
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Who all here is running or has run a solid roller camshaft ground from a stock original Chrysler camshaft core? I know a few have and I am wanting some information on how well they hold up and how long. I am considering having one done and would like to know any direct experiences. Thanks. - Rob

It is enough that Jesus died and that he died for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
Hey Rob, good to see ya over on "this side" of the /6 world...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
I think the only one I remember was Dave Mueller's race car. Seems like I remember it did not last very long?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
If it was ground on a cast core I would guess spring pressure beat the crap out of it, but that is just a guess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:34 pm 

Car Model:
Dave had some billet cores made by Oregon Cams. I believe he has run one. A few of us bought a core or two when he had a bunch made. I have not run mine yet.

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:55 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
The engine I have now runs so good and gives zero trouble, so I may just save up for a billet core.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
He hardened the cast cams. As I recall, the last one of those he installed had well over 50 passes on it, and was still serviceable.

Dave worked with OCG to have a run made of billet cores. I think they're all sold. I have one in my rail.

You can always check with Oregon Cam Grinding to see if they have any left. I don't know that they plan to make another run at this point.

CJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:38 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
ceej wrote:
He hardened the cast cams. As I recall, the last one of those he installed had well over 50 passes on it, and was still serviceable.

Dave worked with OCG to have a run made of billet cores. I think they're all sold. I have one in my rail.

You can always check with Oregon Cam Grinding to see if they have any left. I don't know that they plan to make another run at this point.

CJ

I've talked with Ken a good bit about it. Of course, he guarantees nothing....lol.....but he says the Chrysler cores are hardened almost all the way to the center of the core so they are a step ahead of the rest as for regrinding. All I have for valve springs are the Comp 911 big block springs. Ken looked at the specs and seems to think they would work well with a low lift solid roller. Whether the camshaft would hold up or not is the question. The billet core brings up the issue of the oil pump gear, which I don't want to go to bronze. It just would not have that long of a life and I want something that lasts. I may just stick with a flat tapped solid, but I sure wanted to try a roller. Still a ways out yet, so we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:58 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Why are you going to the roller? Are you racing or is it a street engine...etc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:23 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Rick Covalt wrote:
Why are you going to the roller? Are you racing or is it a street engine...etc

It's just simply something I want to do. It's a 100% street engine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:37 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Probably the best cam of any sort of any engine is the solid roller. That assumes you consider the added complexity, cost, and weight are outweighed by the better profile and (presumably) lower friction the roller offers.

It makes good sense to use a solid roller in even a mild street engine, because if you don't, you are leaving something in the table in terms of power.

This is evidenced by the major OEMs going to roller in the 1980's..of course, they dropped the ball by using hydraulic lifters, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
GregCon wrote:
Probably the best cam of any sort of any engine is the solid roller. That assumes you consider the added complexity, cost, and weight are outweighed by the better profile and (presumably) lower friction the roller offers.

It makes good sense to use a solid roller in even a mild street engine, because if you don't, you are leaving something in the table in terms of power.

This is evidenced by the major OEMs going to roller in the 1980's..of course, they dropped the ball by using hydraulic lifters, but that's another story.

Thanks Greg. That's exactly why I'd like to try it. I don't get the naysayers swooping in telling me to do something different. I wasn't looking for "what I wanted to hear" but from direct experience and hopefully maybe some pictures of some wear patterns using the stock cast core.....but evidently no one has that information, or they don't want to share it. Perhaps I should just move on. I appreciate your input, Greg. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:13 am 

Car Model:
Unfortunately, most of the real racers have left this site and/or are not excited to share such things because ignorant people will snipe back. I have one and will probably use it someday, but I'm sorry I do not have info to share. I should really go back and think about what profile I want to use and for what application (NA, turbo, etc).

FWIW, I would say you want a reasonably narrow lobe separation angle (LSA) compared to V8s, but probably not as narrow as for a flat tappet solid cam. If you say more about your desired engine buildup, I could do some research (from at least 1-2 experienced Slant 6 racers) and maybe try to give some recommendations.

My guess is that Ken would make more billet cores that can run a stock oil pump if you got people together for maybe 5 of them? I've not spoken with him in a while...

Slant on,

Lou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:50 am 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Thanks Greg. That's exactly why I'd like to try it. I don't get the naysayers swooping in telling me to do something different. I wasn't looking for "what I wanted to hear" but from direct experience and hopefully maybe some pictures of some wear patterns using the stock cast core.....but evidently no one has that information, or they don't want to share it. Perhaps I should just move on. I appreciate your input, Greg. Thanks.[/quote]

Rob, don't move on, we, i, enjoy the conversation and want to hear what you do and how it turns out.
I for one am hoping for another slant resurgence with some new members bridging the gap.
Lots of members have stopped coming here but some visit less often as they did.

I hope soon to have some real roller experience to share.
And gear drive!

Stan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:48 pm 

Realistically gear drives and solid rollers are used with really big lift and heavy spring pressures. Is there an advantage on a low lift low spring pressure application? Maybe. Remember you are adding weight with the roller lifter, but gain some back with a shorter pushrod.

How much power is there to be gained? I would bet you wouldn't be able to see it on a dyno.

But hey, that's the fun of hot rodding. You do what you want. Hell, if we had half a brain we wouldn't be doing Slants anyway. :mrgreen: