Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:04 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1962 Lancer 770
I have a 2x1 Offy intake with BBS carbs. I have never run it with a choke, and have 2 springs that just hold the butterfly all the way open.

I recently attempted to fabricate a choke pull off that synchronizes with both carbs, and was able to hook that up to the choke stove. With that added, I touch the gas pedal, both butterflies close all the way as a closed choke. Great! I'm all excited and go to crank it. And crank it, and crank it. No matter what I do, hold the gas pedal down, pump it, say a prayer, I cannot get the car to start. It will just crank and crank and a little smoke will eventually come out the oil filler cap. It never catches and turns over. Defeated, I scratch my head a bit.

Just as an experiment, I removed the choke, reinstalled the springs, and the car started up first time.

I checked that both accelerator pumps do squirt fluid into the carb (front has a bit more flow than the rear), I see gas in the bottom if I hold the throttle open, so why would the car start with the choke open but not closed? What would be causing too much gas to let the cold engine start that is fixed by adding more air? PCV stuck shut? I've only dealt with leaks letting more air in, so I'd appreciate some help understanding what is happening and what I should look at. It's probably something simple I'm not understanding, so thanks in advance.

Thanks!

MJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:16 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I never ran a choke with that carb/intake setup. I was able to start it at -30F in a Minnesota winter (yes, you read that right), and many many other times in all kinds of weather. It never gets cold where you live, so if I were you I'd just run without it.

My 2 cents,
Lou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Are the vacuum pull offs working?